Author Topic: AMPLEX MV lamps  (Read 1464 times)
Olav

View Posts
View Gallery

Olav Kettner
AMPLEX MV lamps « on: October 18, 2022, 04:49:24 AM » Author: Olav
AMPLEX, for me as a German, that's a completely unknown brand.
Did this company produce its own lamps or was it selling third-party products under a private label?

I found this older ad:

Hopefully the Americans here will be able to tell me something about it.

Regards

Olav
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: AMPLEX MV lamps « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 05:46:20 AM » Author: Rommie
Not one I've ever heard of either, the name Amplex to me means a manufacturer of reel to reel tape and recorders.

Edit: Oops I just remembered that was Ampex  :-[  :mrg:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 10:39:17 AM by Rommie » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: AMPLEX MV lamps « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 08:41:42 AM » Author: nogden
I'm pretty sure I have (or had) some Amplex photo flood lamps. I used to get them confused with Ampex and Amperex, but those are unrelated companies.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: AMPLEX MV lamps « Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 02:26:14 AM » Author: joseph_125
I think I saw an ad for them in the appendix of one of the IES reference manuals from that era (50s-60s) but I don't think I've seen a actual picture of one. I initially thought they were the same company as the one that made reel to reel recorders, video recorders, and tapes but it turns out they're Ampex instead of Amplex.
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: AMPLEX MV lamps « Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 03:53:34 PM » Author: James
I do believe Amplex was a small American manufacturer of lamps and electronic tubes, which was taken over by Norelco in the 1970s.  For some years afterwards Philips kept the brand alive in countries where it could not sell under the Philips name.  Especially in electronic tubes the brand is very common, and those devices seem to be rebranded versions of standard Philips tubes.  Even in Europe they were common.  At work we have old Tesla Coils made by Philips, and those nearly all contain high power vacuum tubes branded Amplex but still made in Holland.
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: AMPLEX MV lamps « Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 04:47:43 PM » Author: RadiantMV
Im pretty sure these lamps are third party Westinghouse bulbs as the E-H1 was a Westinghouse designation and so were the J-H1 and A-H1, although the latter was also made by GE.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: AMPLEX MV lamps « Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 07:37:24 AM » Author: funkybulb
These MV lamp is one of hardest to find for collectors to get ahold of that how rare it is.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies