Author Topic: Musical Tornado Siren Ambiences?  (Read 2207 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Musical Tornado Siren Ambiences? « on: November 02, 2022, 12:33:20 PM » Author: suzukir122
Alright... so I gotta talk about this. This is something that I've noticed for many, many years, and it is, of course, different depending on
what state you live in. I'm not sure about other countries though...
... why is it that tornado siren ambiences seem... musical? Like... one siren is legitimately in tune with another. Is this some sort of common coincidence?
Or is there a reason for it? I should also add that it doesn't seem to matter the type of tornado siren used, but I especially notice this with the
Whelen based tornado siren systems. Our systems here aren't from Whelen, and they're the style of sirens that aren't speakers... but we just had a siren test,
and every single siren was in tune with one another, sounding similar to... a symphony. Is there a reason for it?
Also, there's a YouTube video that got slightly viral because of this: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gw3SZq6cIUE
I'm very familiar with this style of ambience in the video, since the city where I use to live as a kid, had the exact same Whelen tornado siren system.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Musical Tornado Siren Ambiences? « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 12:46:03 PM » Author: dor123
Various models of sirens of different manufacturers, that have various sound frequencies: This is the result.
Here in Israel, until 2011, we had only Hormann F71 and some HLS 273 pneumatic sirens. All of them have the same sound frequency.
Now we have Hormann ECN 3000 and ATI HPSS 32, which have difference sound frequencies and this is how they are heard together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBqsyALQZIY

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Musical Tornado Siren Ambiences? « Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 12:58:47 PM » Author: suzukir122
The sound frequencies, at least with the speaker based Whelen sirens we have here in the U.S, are constant, but different... with the
frequencies just right enough to give off a harmonizing effect. That's what confuses me... why is this the case?
@Dor123, that video you linked to is important, because I've heard Whelens give off a similar effect as well, same with the non-Whelen/
wind-up style sirens... and it's different depending on the state.
Regarding that video, that's a very scary situation there in Israel, by the way... I would hope that you've never had to deal with anything like
that where you live.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Musical Tornado Siren Ambiences? « Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 01:15:03 PM » Author: dor123
Here in Israel, the sirens are uses, apart for air raids, for the following uses:
1. Moment of silence at Holocaust Remembrance Day, and at Remembrance day for fallen soldiers (Steadily tone).
2. Alerting from earthquakes (New use).

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Musical Tornado Siren Ambiences? « Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 03:31:41 PM » Author: rjluna2
I remember when there was siren was going off, it sounded like the horn was rotating creating high/low frequency noises.

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Musical Tornado Siren Ambiences? « Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 04:40:49 PM » Author: Econolite03
Probably was a Federal Signal “Thunderbolt” 1003 siren, which rotate and are known for their signature hi-lo signal, Robert.
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Musical Tornado Siren Ambiences? « Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 06:09:52 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Those sound like ASC T-128 and Federal Signal 2001 sirens.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Musical Tornado Siren Ambiences? « Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 07:23:52 PM » Author: suzukir122
Hi Lo... ? Can someone post a link to a video showing this?
But yeah, I'm beginning to think that the tornado sirens "singing" along with each other might just be a coincidental thing,
with no reasoning behind it. lol

Interests:

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Musical Tornado Siren Ambiences? « Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 07:33:01 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
See here.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Musical Tornado Siren Ambiences? « Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 07:59:28 PM » Author: suzukir122
Yeah... how do Thunderbolt sirens work anyways? I thought they were the kind to rev up, and not speaker based?

Interests:

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Musical Tornado Siren Ambiences? « Reply #10 on: November 02, 2022, 08:18:50 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
They use a blower to force air up the tube to the chopper for boosted sound output.

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Musical Tornado Siren Ambiences? « Reply #11 on: November 03, 2022, 07:47:59 AM » Author: rjluna2
Thanks, guys for the 411 on the rotating siren :)

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Musical Tornado Siren Ambiences? « Reply #12 on: November 03, 2022, 09:09:50 AM » Author: dor123
Here is an example of the earthquake siren of Israel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w0M2ydSW6o
It is heard the same, with both the Hormann ECN 3000 and ATI HPSS32.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Musical Tornado Siren Ambiences? « Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 11:23:35 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Those tornado sirens are stunning!, it’s incredible how something that signals something so devastating can sound so beautiful in unison!  8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Musical Tornado Siren Ambiences? « Reply #14 on: November 03, 2022, 07:45:50 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Nothing beats the Thunderbolt.   I hate the hi/lo feature of them though sounds stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9rRSY0dRIU

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies