Author Topic: I hate vertical videos..!  (Read 2370 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

I hate vertical videos..! « on: November 15, 2022, 06:51:06 PM » Author: Rommie
This is apparently a relatively old video, but I only just saw it on Youtube, it's hilarious but sadly true  :-\

Vertical Video Syndrome A PSA (Glove and Boots)  ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: I hate vertical videos..! « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 10:06:14 PM » Author: Econolite03
I hate the little kiddies who post useless 10 second short videos of boring street lights and that’s it. It doesn’t add value or help the hobby. This is my opinion and it needs to stop eventually.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: I hate vertical videos..! « Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 01:04:32 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, vertical videos are pretty annoying when viewed on a standard landscape screen such as a TV or monitor. Unfortunately it seems instead of discouraging it, the tech companies are encouraging it with things like TikTok and YouTube shorts getting pushed, both of which have a native vertical UI and are pretty much intended for phone users instead of desktop used.

Another thing I find tacky are the vertical videos edited to look landscape with the video blurred on the sides to fill the missing. I'm looking at you, news stations that edit social media videos to appear this way prior to broadcast.

Yeah the extremely short videos on a streetlight also dosen't really help. At that length you're better off uploading a static image and typing out a description IMO. 
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I hate vertical videos..! « Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 10:11:31 AM » Author: sol
Another thing I find tacky are the vertical videos edited to look landscape with the video blurred on the sides to fill the missing. I'm looking at you, news stations that edit social media videos to appear this way prior to broadcast.

I can get sea sick at the movies and when watching YouTube. This aggavates it. It is also very distracting. Most times when I click on such a video, I don’t finish it.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I hate vertical videos..! « Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 11:21:22 AM » Author: Rommie
Yeah, that's the most annoying thing, when they blur it out to either side. WTF are they thinking when they do this..?  :curse:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: I hate vertical videos..! « Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 11:24:24 AM » Author: Econolite03
If you like vertical shots, TikTok uploads on YouTube are some of the worst.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I hate vertical videos..! « Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 11:29:37 AM » Author: Rommie
Who said anything about liking the infernal things..? They're the LED's of the video world  :sick:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: I hate vertical videos..! « Reply #7 on: November 16, 2022, 11:39:03 AM » Author: Econolite03
Ooops, my bad. I meant if you hate. Boom!
 8;)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: I hate vertical videos..! « Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 12:34:35 PM » Author: suzukir122
Okay so it's safe to say I'm not the only one who hates vertical videos. A bit off topic, so I'll keep this
brief: I despise YouTube shorts in every way. I honestly have no idea, yet again, what the YouTube "team" was thinking in
the creation and forcing of YouTube shorts. Forcing:... a lot of my videos that I've filmed have automatically
became YouTube shorts videos. But yeah... I've hated vertical videos for years, and have always wondered why people
can't simply tip their phone over to make their videos appear much, much better.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: I hate vertical videos..! « Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 01:54:42 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I too dislike vertical videos...but very worst of all is when they take a vertical vid & put a blurred-out version on the sides to fill the blank space. Leaving it black/putting a logo/photo/etc, anything is better than that blurred crap!

I also refuse to use words "filmed" or "footage" when talking about digitally recorded video. It is NOT film or tape, there is no footage!

Oh and TicTok is malware, that thing should be avoided alltogether.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: I hate vertical videos..! « Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 03:09:23 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, black bars is the best way IMO, much better than the blurred sides or even a logo. I was wondering about the YT shorts thing too because I noticed short clips I've watched on regular Youtube a few years ago gget converted to the shorts format. It's a shame they just force shorter videos into that format. There are ways to watch them as regular videos on desktop but I don't think most users know how to.

Honestly now that phones have multiple cameras on the back, the manufacturers could easily prevent vertical videos by including a camera for video that's oriented landscape when the phone is held in the vertical postion and use that for recording when a user starts a video. Include a override for vertical videos and you're set.

I would honestly never download the TikTok app at all on my phone. Don't trust it and I find them sketchier in terms of data mining than even FB or Amazon. If someone sends me a TikTok video, I'll just watch it on desktop in a private window and close it after. 
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I hate vertical videos..! « Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 03:12:43 PM » Author: Rommie
I've only heard peripherally about Tik Tok, but after the BBC Panorama documentary I saw on Amazon's data mining activities, I didn't imagine there could be anything worse  ??? :poof:

Don't have or want a "smart" phone either, our Nokia 6310i's do us for what we need, in other words making phone calls.

If you know how to convert those ghastly "short" vertical videos on YT to normal, please let me know  :-*

RandomCatPerson

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I hate vertical videos..! « Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 03:15:20 PM » Author: RandomCatPerson
I can't tell you how many times I have recorded something unique only to review the footage and realize it's vertical. In most cases, I accept it as there isn't always the ability to redo it.

See me on youtube at Random Cat Person for more content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYq1jSBuQvMObtCuglqB_6g/videos

Westinghouse is King

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: I hate vertical videos..! « Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 03:28:20 PM » Author: joseph_125
@MV1000watt - That's where I think having the extra landscape camera would shine. Not more unintentional vertical videos. High end phones already have a array of upwards of 6 cameras on the back so it wouldn't be too hard to have a dedicated video camera to avoid this altogether.

@Rommie - To be honest I think those tech companies are looking to get away with doing as much as possible without getting into legal trouble regarding data mining. It wouldn't surprise me if most of them have similar practices. TikTok is targeted at outside my demographic anyway so I don't really have much of a reason to use it anyway.At the current rate of smartphones I always joke making phone calls is just something they happen to do, not the primary feature lol.

There are several browser extensions that claim to convert the YT shorts to normal YT videos, you could try one of those. But on desktop you can manually do it if you replace the

Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/[Video ID]
In the URL with the following:

Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[Video ID]
Most videos will still be vertical but it at least gets rid of the mobile "inspired" YT shorts UI and uses the regular YT UI instead. It also stops the video from looping non stop as it would on the YT shorts UI. Why they thought that was a good idea was beyond me. ::)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: I hate vertical videos..! « Reply #14 on: November 22, 2022, 11:25:37 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Joseph_125, ooohh... yep... looks like I'm gonna have to try that method of getting rid of YT shorts. That way, short videos are
watchable again, in the fact that I can rewind to certain parts of the video, full screen, etc.
Another thing I don't like about YT shorts is that it advertises the use of vertical videos, increasing the trend of recording vertically.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies