Author Topic: Did Crouse-Hinds make OV-50s?  (Read 1082 times)
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Did Crouse-Hinds make OV-50s? « on: November 29, 2022, 06:09:43 PM » Author: RadiantMV
This is something i was thinking about recently. Here in Canada, Crouse-Hinds gained the rights to the old Westinghouse cobrahead lineup (as opposed to Cooper in the USA) and i own one of their OV-15s and have seen their OV-25s both on LG and in the wild. This begs the question, did they make OV-50s as well?

Here is a photograph of what i believe could very well be a Crouse-Hinds OV-50 (if they do in fact exist). Note that it has the same PC mount position as their smaller luminaires and is unlikely to be a Cooper OVL since as i said before they were never marked as cooper up here to my knowledge.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Did Crouse-Hinds make OV-50s? « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 06:12:52 PM » Author: Burrito
Yes, but they're called the OVL

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did Crouse-Hinds make OV-50s? « Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 06:17:44 PM » Author: High Intensity
Yes they did, but it was called the OVL. Also, Crouse-Hinds bought the rights to the Westinghouse fixture line up in both the USA and Canada, but Crouse-Hinds was later bought by Cooper, so later ones were sold by Cooper.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

No.

Re: Did Crouse-Hinds make OV-50s? « Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 06:19:41 PM » Author: Burrito
It was probably called the OVL up in Canada too

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did Crouse-Hinds make OV-50s? « Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 06:52:36 PM » Author: RadiantMV
Yes they did, but it was called the OVL. Also, Crouse-Hinds bought the rights to the Westinghouse fixture line up in both the USA and Canada, but Crouse-Hinds was later bought by Cooper, so later ones were sold by Cooper.
I may be misinterpreting your comment but what i mean is OV-50/OVLs marked as Crouse-Hinds and not Cooper. Up here in Canada we never had cooper marked fixtures, only Crouse-Hinds ones.

Also correct me if I’m wrong but i think the OVL may have just been a US name as the equivalent Cooper/Crouse-Hinds made OV-25s were called OVWs. No fixture by that name was made up here to my knowledge and they kept calling it an OV-25 until the end.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 07:02:36 PM by RadiantMV » Logged
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did Crouse-Hinds make OV-50s? « Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 07:07:13 PM » Author: High Intensity
I am saying that Crouse-Hinds likely did continue to market the OV-50 after buying Westinghouse's street and outdoor lighting division.

Also, if these three photos are to be believed, then Cooper did sell fixtures up in Canada, just like how Crouse-Hinds sold fixtures in the USA before being bought out by Cooper.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Did Crouse-Hinds make OV-50s? « Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 08:11:29 PM » Author: joseph_125
IIRC while the OV-50/OVL was rare here in Ontario, some places in Alberta used them until the 2000s, gotta wonder if they were marketed under the OV-50 or OVL name.
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Did Crouse-Hinds make OV-50s? « Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 11:24:35 PM » Author: RadiantMV
We still have a bunch of them on the freeways over here, although the 327 is much more common.
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Did Crouse-Hinds make OV-50s? « Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 08:06:33 PM » Author: BT25
Cooper bought out Crouse-Hinds in 1981, and Westinghouse's luminaire division in 1982. They decided after buying both the US and Canadian works to brand them Crouse-Hinds. At some later date, Cooper (US) changed the branding to Cooper Lighting, Street Works, and Lumark.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies