Author Topic: My watt meter stops responding after some time of operation  (Read 634 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

My watt meter stops responding after some time of operation « on: December 11, 2022, 08:00:52 AM » Author: dor123
I've noticed that if I don't reset my watt meter once per sometime, which I use to measure mains voltage, it completely stop responding. The timer stop working and the buttons not responding.
If I then reset it, it returns to work.
Why this is happening?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My watt meter stops responding after some time of operation « Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 03:27:49 AM » Author: Medved
Likely a bug in handling timer counter overflow (or better to say lack of proper handling). Most likely just never tested for operation longer than a day or so...

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: My watt meter stops responding after some time of operation « Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 08:53:24 AM » Author: dor123
Usually it takes several weeks or a month to stop responding.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My watt meter stops responding after some time of operation « Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 01:02:03 PM » Author: Medved
Could be. E.g. WinXP crash after 49 days, when uint32 ms counter overflows. Newer wins patched that by moving into a 64bit variable.
And I intentionally write "patched" and not "fixed", because although a 64bit variable counting ms seems to expire only after half a billion years, at some point when computing power would become way bigger someone may redefine it to e.g. counting picoseconds and the overflow problem would be back, that time in a less than a month.
The only correct way according to me is to define it as a revolving counter, so all SW has to count on its cyclic nature. Because it is not needed for anything longer than a few seconds, so overflow in hours or so should be rather easy to manage.
In the wattmeter it may mean transition from an "average since power on" into "low pass filter with few month time constant", all that without any need for any extra data memory space.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies