Author Topic: Daylight Power Grooves  (Read 2698 times)
static1701

View Posts
View Gallery

Scott

Daylight Power Grooves « on: March 12, 2010, 09:06:07 AM » Author: static1701
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_45q5ABK6E

I use real incandescent Christmas lights, miniature lights from the 70's, C6's from the 50's and modern C7's and C9's. NO ugly LED's! I don't care what it cost. Real Christmas lights and Preheat Fluorescent!

Fox Mantra

View Posts
View Gallery

Philips Sl Comfort best bulbs

Re: Daylight Power Grooves « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 07:16:19 PM » Author: Fox Mantra
Nice bulbs,  i like how your camcorder makes the bulb go all colourful in time.

Techno, Lightning, PS3, Lights, Furry, Random bloke.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Daylight Power Grooves « Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:29:38 AM » Author: dor123
Several of the "slow" instant start electronic CFLs (Includes the recent Philips Genie CFLs) behaves like these powergrooves during ignition despite their ballasts is significantly different and also their ignition mothed (Powergrooves uses rapidstart magnetic ballasts).
Rapidstart magnetic ballasts and all electronic ballats for argon buffer based fluorescents that emulate the rapid starting of these magnetic ballasts warms the electrodes while applying to the tube its operating current without any high voltage (One of the reason why Krypton can't be used with these ballasts). After a few seconds, when the electrodes heated enough, the lamp stabilizes itself. In instant start CFLs on the other hand, the ballast send to the lamp a high voltage and a lower current to operate it in cold cathode mode and then transfers the operation to hot cathode modes. Despite this, several instant start CFLs, like the recent Philips Genie lamps, lits exactly like these powergrooves in this video which uses magnetic rapidstart ballast. Why?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:40:15 PM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Daylight Power Grooves « Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 05:03:49 PM » Author: nogden
Is that a lead-lag ballast? I'm just wondering why the lamps seem to be "firing" at different times.

Nice light!
static1701

View Posts
View Gallery

Scott

Re: Daylight Power Grooves « Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 08:06:41 PM » Author: static1701
I don't recall the info on the ballast, I know it is an Advance rapid start VHO.
In person, the bulbs don't blink or flash. I guess they are really doing that but with out the camera...you just can't see it.

I use real incandescent Christmas lights, miniature lights from the 70's, C6's from the 50's and modern C7's and C9's. NO ugly LED's! I don't care what it cost. Real Christmas lights and Preheat Fluorescent!

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: Daylight Power Grooves « Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 01:45:21 AM » Author: RCM442
What you are seeing is frequency switching, since US power runs on 60 HZ, the camera can see it, and it makes the lamps appear to flash, but you can't see it with your own eye!

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Daylight Power Grooves « Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 05:08:30 PM » Author: Foxtronix
That is indeed the lead-lag effect, or "stroboscopic correction". Most magnetic ballasts, including the popular Tulamp preheat ballast use that configuration.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies