Author Topic: Making lamps out of metal conduit/pipe?  (Read 426 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Making lamps out of metal conduit/pipe? « on: January 01, 2023, 09:55:09 PM » Author: Cole D.
I’ve noticed since there’s quite a bit of random antique lamp arms/socket assembly and bases on eBay, could you use metal pipe or conduits to make your own floor or table lamps out of them? It could be a fun project, and you could painting the conduit pipes to look antiqued like the old parts you’re using.

I just don’t know if the conduit pipes would be large enough diameter.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Making lamps out of metal conduit/pipe? « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 10:38:54 PM » Author: sol
I’ve used a 3/4 inch threaded ceiling fan down rod as a lamp for years. Both ends were screwed into outdoor surface mount metal junction boxes. I had a vapour tight fixture fitted with a metal halide lamp and it worked perfectly. I am not using it at the moment but I keep it because I have a future project in mind.

I also use a stack of box extensions as a lamp base for low wattage metal halide lamps. I use small case electronic ballasts and they slip nicely inside to make a self contained fixture. I have a picture of such a contraption in my gallery.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Making lamps out of metal conduit/pipe? « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 10:06:41 PM » Author: Cole D.
I remember your metal halide lamp. :)

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Making lamps out of metal conduit/pipe? « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 10:12:42 PM » Author: joseph_125
I made a 100w metal halide table lamp with some 1/2" iron pipe and reducers so a porcelain socket can be mounted on the end. 1/2" iron pipe can be run through 1/2" knockouts and can use 1/2" knocknuts.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies