Author Topic: TUNGSRAM bankrupt  (Read 775 times)
Prismatic

View Posts
View Gallery

Manuel

slprismatic
TUNGSRAM bankrupt « on: January 02, 2023, 06:24:17 AM » Author: Prismatic
I think it is relevant to know for us lighting enthusiasts that TUNGSRAM, a brand which was founded 1896 is now finally gone.
After GE withdrew from Europe there was a strong hope for the brand (management buy out) to keep relevant in Europe but this unfortunately finally failed.

https://tungsram.com/

:( :( :(

Prismatic@YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/slprismatic

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: TUNGSRAM bankrupt « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 06:35:59 AM » Author: Rommie
And another one bites the dust  :sadbulb: :'(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: TUNGSRAM bankrupt « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 01:07:56 PM » Author: merc
That's sad, indeed. :( Krypton filled mushroom incandescent were a relevant part of my child years!
On the other hand, probably the only hope for the company would have been making LED lamps cheap (in China) and labelling them Tungsram - the name "older" generations still know.
But making products like lamps in Europe or U.S.A might become reality again. Being too dependent is a risk.
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: TUNGSRAM bankrupt « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 12:40:37 AM » Author: BT25
Sad to see, but not surprising...and expected.
Signify North America, LEDvance, and what was GE, have their lamps made in China by some no-name company(ies) with their name applied. Their lamps appear the same as TCP, and any other miscellaneous import brands. Such a shame...I remember being able to identify lamps (and luminaires) simply by sight...not anymore. Fun lighting is dead...except for our collections.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: TUNGSRAM bankrupt « Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 04:35:32 AM » Author: Silverliner
No, I really doubt the USA will ever have lamps made here again.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: TUNGSRAM bankrupt « Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 08:48:13 AM » Author: Rommie
Nor will we here, or indeed most countries other than China, sadly  :sadbulb:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Prismatic

View Posts
View Gallery

Manuel

slprismatic
Re: TUNGSRAM bankrupt « Reply #6 on: January 03, 2023, 02:27:44 PM » Author: Prismatic
Fun lighting is dead...except for our collections.

Thats true. Modern lighting (mostly LED) works allright but its so boring. A switch start flurorescent tube starting is so much more entertaining compared to a LED tube simply lighting up. Also incandescent bulbs in the 230 Volt area often had a last eol suprise for you nearly exploding and tripping the circuit breaker...

Prismatic@YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/slprismatic

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: TUNGSRAM bankrupt « Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 02:48:27 PM » Author: Rommie
Interesting, never had that happen here, our lamps have always stayed intact on failure..! The breaker tripping is usually me making a mistake when testing something  :mrg:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: TUNGSRAM bankrupt « Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 06:22:51 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Then I have the fun job of getting everything out of the cupboard where the CU is and resetting the breaker...  ::)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies