Author Topic: Repairing a Broken Pin on a Fluorescent Tube  (Read 720 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Repairing a Broken Pin on a Fluorescent Tube « on: January 03, 2023, 07:10:30 PM » Author: 108CAM
Last night I decided to remove the terminal blocks from my F125T12 fluorescent tube and while doing so, I accidently broke one of the pins off the endcap while trying to pry the terminal block off because the screw was rusted.
I can confirm that the tube has not lost vacuum and can technically be started with a plasma globe or tesla coil with the missing pin.
My knowledge of how fluorescent tubes are made is enough to tell me that the tube may be fixable if I could somehow remove the endcap and splice in the pin from another tube and hope that it works.
I may also be able to remove the black spacer and access the broken wire through the hole where the spacer sits.
Any ideas on how I could try with fixing it?

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Repairing a Broken Pin on a Fluorescent Tube « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 02:03:02 AM » Author: 108CAM
Update:
I fixed the pin by removing part of the spacer so I could attach a brass crimp connector to the cathode filament wire which was thankfully still intact.
I squeezed the other end of the crimp connector with pliers to create a pin, created a new insulator by cutting the end off a rubber wire cover and taping the whole thing in place with some cleverly cut bits of packaging tape.
A quick test fit with a tombstone lampholder told me that the makeshift pin is strong and sturdy enough to rotate the socket and lock into place!
I normally wouldn't go to these measures to save a fluorescent tube but this was an exception because the tube I fixed was my GE F125T12, the only 8 footer in my collection.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Repairing a Broken Pin on a Fluorescent Tube « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 02:08:43 AM » Author: lights*plus
For your next pin repair, try liquid crazy-glue (shove in a piece of cut paperclip) then liberally sprinkle some baking soda over it. Watch as it hardens to steel.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 02:10:55 AM by lights*plus » Logged
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Repairing a Broken Pin on a Fluorescent Tube « Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 09:57:48 AM » Author: funkybulb
I usually fix my tube using doner end cap and and use high temprature hot glue the cap in place.   

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies