Author Topic: LED Lightbulb Replacement for Microwave Hood Not Turning Off  (Read 842 times)
LightUpMyLife

View Posts
View Gallery

https://www.facebook.com/ https://twitter.com/TedTa
LED Lightbulb Replacement for Microwave Hood Not Turning Off « on: January 05, 2023, 06:02:02 PM » Author: LightUpMyLife
OK, I need some help from members of the community. We recently had to replace a Samsung microwave hood with a new unit. The replacement we chose was a basic Maytag unit. Even though it is a fair unit, the stovetop light underneath was a very dim 15-Watt incandescent vs the 5000K 600 Lumen LEDs on the Samsung unit before. That led me to replace it with a FEIT 40-Watt equivalent LED bulb for appliances. The bulb was a lot brighter but when I used the control panel to turn the light off, it wouldn't go completely off! The bulb stays dimly lit if the light is turned off and only cutting power can turn the light off. I did include a link to the exact lightbulb I used which the store salesman said was good for a microwave hood.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-40-Watt-Equivalent-T8-Intermediate-E17-Base-Microwave-Appliance-LED-Light-Bulb-Warm-White-3000K-BP40T8N-LED-HDRP/309489433
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Lightbulb Replacement for Microwave Hood Not Turning Off « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 10:41:45 PM » Author: Medved
It is probably current through some snubber network across the switch element.
And is the residual light really a problem? Because unless it is "leaking" into a bedroom, I would just keep it glowing. It would be problem with CFLs, where it can cause repetitive cold cathode flashing and by that way kill the tube, but with LEDs there is nothing to worry about.

No more selfballasted c***

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Lightbulb Replacement for Microwave Hood Not Turning Off « Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 12:11:34 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Yeah I think the controller in the unit is expecting the resistance of an incandescent lamp. I've seen this happen with LEDs used on older dimmers as well.

Administrator #5

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: LED Lightbulb Replacement for Microwave Hood Not Turning Off « Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 12:46:19 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I personally prefer incandescent lamps in microwaves because they can handle the heat much better than LED lamps.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Lightbulb Replacement for Microwave Hood Not Turning Off « Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 11:28:32 AM » Author: Medved
There is usually not much heat in microwaves, otherwise the magnetron will be what would fail very soon.
Plus it does not make that much hours: usual microwave usage 30minutes/day means barely 1000hours in 5 years. So 15 year lifetime means barely 3k hour. Plus the magnetron life is limited to the 2khours ballpark also (and then it is uneconomic).

No more selfballasted c***

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: LED Lightbulb Replacement for Microwave Hood Not Turning Off « Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 03:21:48 PM » Author: Cole D.
It sounds like he talking of the surface light on the bottom of the unit, rather than the light inside the microwave itself.

And this does sound like a slight leakage. Are there a night light setting also, most I seen press button once for on and again for dimmer night light then again for off. Do the bulb do anything in the night light setting?

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies