Author Topic: Bus interior lights  (Read 477 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Bus interior lights « on: January 07, 2023, 10:31:59 AM » Author: Cole D.
Do the interior lighting on buses ever left on when moving?

I know on school busses the lights were usually off but sometimes would be on if parked like waiting to board and depart for early morning school field trip. It does seem like sometimes in dark situations like thunderstorms  making the interior dark, that the lights were on while driving.

On tour busses usually has fluorescent lights recessed over the side windows shades which were on in similar situations like before leaving in morning.

Those busses also have swiveling reading lamps over each set of seats but I assume main switch was off as don’t remember then working.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Bus interior lights « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 11:13:28 AM » Author: dor123
Egged buses and the Metronit buses. all have LED lighting, which often turned on during the day, even if there is enough light from outside.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Bus interior lights « Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 02:50:52 PM » Author: joseph_125
Most transit buses here seem to keep the lights on although the lamps closest to the driver either are wired to come on only when the front door is open or placed behind a coloured (blue/green/orange) filter to reduce glare for the driver.

On highway coaches or tour buses, the fkpuoresceny lights seem to come off once the vehicle is in motion but most of that style bus usually have individually controlled spot lights over each seat for reading.

The streetcars/LRT have a separate cabin for the driver which is unlit and so are fully illuminated. The previous set of cars had dim orange filtered lighting at the front similar to the buses.

The trains (subway/commuter) also have separate driver's cabins so the passenger area on those are also fully illuminated.

I know school buses usually have incandescent lights scattered throughout for boarding but I don't generally seem to see one as lit up as a transit buses.

On all those types, the common practice is to keep the lights on when the vehicle is picking up passengers, even during the day.

flyoffacliff

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bus interior lights « Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 02:14:20 AM » Author: flyoffacliff
When I was a kid, my school buses (BlueBird) had 14 lights, with two rows of 7 each going down the length of the bus. The bus driver had 3 switches, one for the first six lights in the front of the bus, the next six in the middle, and the last two at the very back. Sometimes he would get lazy and not bother flicking the third switch for the last two lights so very back would stay dark.

He would manually turn them on the lights picking us up in the morning. The only one that came on automatically was along the stairs in the front of the bus. I remember one of the lights burned out when I was in like 3rd or 4th grade and I'm pretty sure it remained burned out until that bus was retired and replaced five or six years later. I noticed the newer buses have the same style of fixture but they are now 5000k LED.

I remember some of the substitute buses that were a different brand or configuration only had six lights in the cabin, and they were dimmer.
flyoffacliff

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Bus interior lights « Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 02:21:25 AM » Author: flyoffacliff
The city buses where I am have three different types. The oldest is fluorescent tubes that have LED retrofits installed. The front one stays on all the time and all the rest shut off while the bus is moving (although I have seen them stay on before so I think the driver has an override option), then they switched to white LED strips with the same lenses that had the tubes before. These stay on all the time even when the bus is moving.

I think they changed it to deter crime but they were really bright and annoying. The latest ones from the past two or three years also stay on all the time but the LED's were changed to a blue color. It's less obnoxious and it’s pretty cool at night to see all the buses glowing blue from the outside!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies