Author Topic: Home Depot getting rid of Philips & fluorescent?  (Read 945 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Home Depot getting rid of Philips & fluorescent? « on: January 15, 2023, 10:36:29 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Home Depot stores here used to fave a fairly decent selection of Philips fluorescent lamps.
I was in the local store yesterday, and noticed that where those used to be, there is now a much smaller selection of Feit crap ... and I think it was all LED! (except a couple leftover 2pk of F96 slimlines)
That was disappointing to see (though not surprizing on the LED part).

Anyone else see that in their stores yet? Or maybe its a CO thing due to some of the bans here?

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Home Depot getting rid of Philips & fluorescent? « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 10:42:28 PM » Author: joseph_125
Mine still looks more or less like the picture I took back in October 2022.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Home Depot getting rid of Philips & fluorescent? « Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 10:10:50 AM » Author: funkybulb
I think it has to do with your state .  I can still  get fluorescents in HD in Texas

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Home Depot getting rid of Philips & fluorescent? « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 05:05:18 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Maybe it is just a CO thing then. .. .I'm not sure what all the bans they enacted here cover.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Home Depot getting rid of Philips & fluorescent? « Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 10:15:05 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I think Colorado did a complete ban on 4 foot F40 tubes, 8 foot slimline tubes, and 8 foot high output tubes in T12 flavor.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Home Depot getting rid of Philips & fluorescent? « Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 12:21:11 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
I did some google'ing...
From what I can tell, the CO ban is for any fluorescent with a CRI of 87 or higher CFL/T5/T8/T12/etc.
(And those with CRI below 87 are subject to previously adopted federal regulations)

Not sure on this, but I think that effectively bans all current fluorescents?? (except specialty stuff)?

-----------
edit:
If it doesn't, they will be banned .. take a look at this crap:
    On and after January 1, 2024, a person shall not manufacture, distribute, sell, or offer for sale in Colorado any new compact fluorescent lamp with a screw- or bayonet-type base; and
    On and after January 1, 2025, a person shall not manufacture, distribute, sell, or offer for sale in Colorado any linear fluorescent lamp or any compact fluorescent lamp with a pin-type base.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 12:26:30 AM by xmaslightguy » Logged

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Home Depot getting rid of Philips & fluorescent? « Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 01:07:21 AM » Author: joseph_125
Unfortunately they're really trying hard to ban all fluorescent based sources using the mercury content as a excuse. Especially now that the regulators have deemed LED to be a suitable replacement for most fluorescent applications, previously they would run in to issues trying to ban fluorescent due to the install base.

I'd imagine bans on HID would probably follow suit for the same reason.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Home Depot getting rid of Philips & fluorescent? « Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 02:55:09 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
It seems like in a matter of less than 10 years, LED lighting will become the only light source that will be legal to sell in the world for general illumination and anything non-LED will become too precious and rare to put into daily use. I already have a feeling that any light source that isn’t LED is already becoming a collector’s item.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 02:58:35 AM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Home Depot getting rid of Philips & fluorescent? « Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 03:01:00 AM » Author: High Intensity
If it doesn't, they will be banned .. take a look at this crap:
    On and after January 1, 2024, a person shall not manufacture, distribute, sell, or offer for sale in Colorado any new compact fluorescent lamp with a screw- or bayonet-type base; and
    On and after January 1, 2025, a person shall not manufacture, distribute, sell, or offer for sale in Colorado any linear fluorescent lamp or any compact fluorescent lamp with a pin-type base.
Sounds like they copied this straight from California's lawbook, as CA is going to do the exact same thing at the same time.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Home Depot getting rid of Philips & fluorescent? « Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 06:52:40 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@joseph_125:
Yep LED is to the point where it basically is a 'suitable' replacement for general-use fluorescent ... its pretty much killing off fluorescent on its own, even without the bans. I guess they want to force those last holdouts still using fluorescent to convert quicker
And yeah I'm sure HID will be next on the ban list (I'm actually surprized it hasn't happened yet)

@WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA:
Probably even within 5 years at this rate.

In my case, I have a lifetime supply of fluorescents so "too precious and rare to put into daily use" won't be an issue. .LOL.
I'll continue to light my houseplants & aquariums (as well as parts of the house) with them ... given that I'm old & worn out, I'll EOL long before the supply runs out....

@High Intensity:
Yep, I think that's basically what they did. Saw something to that effect when I was searching for info on the bans.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies