Author Topic: Why did North American 32w and 40w circline lamps switch from T10 to T9 tubing?  (Read 1624 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Why did North American 32w and 40w circline lamps switch from T10 to T9 tubing? « on: January 21, 2023, 02:18:47 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
When I looked at older North American lighting catalogs, I have noticed that the 32w and 40w circline fluorescent lamps used to have T10 tubing, but in newer catalogs, I noticed that the 32w and 40w circline fluorescent lamps have T9 tubing instead just like the 22w and 20w circline lamps did. Why did North American manufacturers decrease the tubing diameter of 32w and 40w circline fluorescent lamps?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did North American 32w and 40w circline lamps switch from T10 to T9 tubing? « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 06:02:14 AM » Author: Medved
My guess: Streamline the production (common tooling, socket parts that need to wrap around the tube, fixture components like clamps to hold the lamp in place,...), when the technical benefit of different cross section for a different rating is small. But just a guess...

No more selfballasted c***

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did North American 32w and 40w circline lamps switch from T10 to T9 tubing? « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 11:56:15 AM » Author: Michael
That happened with TLE 32 and 40W Philips lamps. I have some TLE 32W/33 lamps with T10 diameter as well some T9 format. Their production is a couple of months apart in 1987.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did North American 32w and 40w circline lamps switch from T10 to T9 tubing? « Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 11:58:18 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Never knew that European 32w and 40w Philips circline lamps also changed tubing diameter from T10 to T9. I also wonder if Osram also did the same with their 32w and 40w circline lamps as well.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

feel free to ask questions

Re: Why did North American 32w and 40w circline lamps switch from T10 to T9 tubing? « Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 12:23:34 PM » Author: Alex
Hello
Osram and circline lamps, I dont even know if Osram ever made T10 fluorescent tubes. I have german Osram circling tubes from the mid and late 80s. They are T9 My tube from the late 70s was made in the US by sylvania.

I known in east germany they used T10 glass (likely until 1990). However these circling tubes are a novel shadow free design which is a very different to the design used in the rest of the world.

best regards,

Alex
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 12:27:53 PM by Alex » Logged

Glück auf ⚒️

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did North American 32w and 40w circline lamps switch from T10 to T9 tubing? « Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 12:50:47 PM » Author: Michael
Osram Circlines were not that common here for unknown reason thus I don’t know when they changed from T10 to T9. Most common brands were Philips and Sylvania. The TLE 40w sawthe change to T9 much earlier but I‘m not sure.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 01:32:18 PM by Michael » Logged
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did North American 32w and 40w circline lamps switch from T10 to T9 tubing? « Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 02:10:00 AM » Author: Michael
Here is one post I did long time ago: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1488&pos=150&pid=83894
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did North American 32w and 40w circline lamps switch from T10 to T9 tubing? « Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 03:45:46 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Hello
Osram and circline lamps, I dont even know if Osram ever made T10 fluorescent tubes. I have german Osram circling tubes from the mid and late 80s. They are T9 My tube from the late 70s was made in the US by sylvania.

I known in east germany they used T10 glass (likely until 1990). However these circling tubes are a novel shadow free design which is a very different to the design used in the rest of the world.

best regards,

Alex

As far as I am aware, Osram actually did make some T10 linear fluorescent tubes for the Brazilian and Mexican markets.

The link shown below features several listings of Brazilian Osram T10 linear fluorescent tubes:

https://lista.mercadolivre.com.br/fluorescente-osram-t10#D%5BA:fluorescente%20osram%20t10%5D

In some cases, the Brazilian Osram T10 linear fluorescent tubes were even sold in other Latin American countries such as Venezuela:

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ve/MLV-731510514-fluorescente-f40-watt-t10-osram-oferta-_JM#position=4&search_layout=stack&type=item&tracking_id=2b85d7c6-763c-4a9a-a2ce-b8d70b422c1c
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 03:53:23 AM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why did North American 32w and 40w circline lamps switch from T10 to T9 tubing? « Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 04:17:54 AM » Author: Michael
Osram Germany (Factory Bari in Italy) did list T10 circlines in the 1980s. See catalogue 1984.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies