Author Topic: What is the difference between Osram Vialox and Vialox 4Y?  (Read 699 times)
John

View Posts
View Gallery

What is the difference between Osram Vialox and Vialox 4Y? « on: February 15, 2023, 12:53:12 AM » Author: John
I have seen some Osram high pressure sodium lamps marked "Vialox" and some are marked "Vialox 4Y". Is it just a newer version? A slight change to the construction perhaps?
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is the difference between Osram Vialox and Vialox 4Y? « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 02:32:48 AM » Author: Medved
In some way they increased the life rating to 24+khours and a mortality curve high enough, which allows 4 years replacement interval (so after about 15k hours) in group relamping schedules while still meeting the maximum 2% failure rate criteria.

Dunno if that meant a real technical lamp design change, or whether just the data collected from the field had shown the lamps already did perform that way.

No more selfballasted c***

John

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is the difference between Osram Vialox and Vialox 4Y? « Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 05:19:20 AM » Author: John
I see so 4Y = 4 years, makes sense! I've just ordered one of each. I couldn't see a difference in the photos of the lamps. Will be interesting to see if there's any perceptible difference viewing them in person.
John

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is the difference between Osram Vialox and Vialox 4Y? « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 10:55:29 PM » Author: John
The lamps are here and I have posted a comparison photo in my gallery! Turns out the internal construction is definitely different, especially the ignition wire.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: What is the difference between Osram Vialox and Vialox 4Y? « Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 03:14:32 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
As far as I know, the Osram NAV 4Y high pressure sodium lamps have a much higher xenon pressure compared to regular Osram NAV high pressure sodium lamps. In addition, the 4Y lamps have a higher luminous efficacy compared to standard lamps.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies