Author Topic: If amalgam based fluorescent lamps are more friendly to the environment?  (Read 1557 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

If amalgam based fluorescent lamps are more friendly to the environment? « on: March 29, 2010, 06:13:10 AM » Author: dor123
Recently in Israel, an amalgam based helical CFL lamp named Hyundai TEVA are marketed (Mainly in supermarkets, not in Ace hardware like stores). I don't know if this lamp is a geniue lamp of Hyundai as the word TEVA is a hebrew word but the advertisement tell that this lamp is more environmently friendlier as is contains an amalgam and no liquid mercury. Is this true?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: If amalgam based fluorescent lamps are more friendly to the environment? « Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 06:24:34 AM » Author: Medved
Amalgam is quite strong bond for the mercury, so if the lamp break, much less of it would be released.

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: If amalgam based fluorescent lamps are more friendly to the environment? « Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 07:49:29 AM » Author: dor123
If the additional metals in the mercury amalgam changes the mercury spectral features? Or the atomic spectrum is remains that of the mercury?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: If amalgam based fluorescent lamps are more friendly to the environment? « Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 02:18:19 PM » Author: Medved
During operation only the mercury evaporate from the amalgam (by distillation - it has the way lowest vapor pressure), so other metals do not influence the spectrum at all.

Amalgam is used to allow higher temperature operation, as strong bonds between metals and the amalgam ensure, then the amalgam behave as "cold spot" (it's temperature is the parameter defining the mercury pressure), even if physically way hotter then e.g. the bulb wall.
The same strong bonding is the "force", that prevent the mercury to leave, when the lamp break.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies