Author Topic: [Censored] Google  (Read 1029 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

[Censored] Google « on: February 23, 2023, 03:13:33 PM » Author: Rommie
Ok, here's the story. After many years, Sammi and I finally managed to ditch our Gmail accounts, as we are not exactly happy about the way the system is run.

This left us with one problem, YouTube. Although we don't post content there, we do like to subscribe and view several channels, more than one of which are hosted by people who have become friends over the years, such as Photonicinduction. Not having a Google account means we can't comment, so a couple of days ago we created an account with a name that didn't link back to us in any way, to preserve our anonymity.

This worked for just under 24 hours, when yesterday the account was suspended by Google for allegedly violating their policies. They didn't say exactly which policy we had supposedly violated, and our appeal was rejected out of hand, with the following message:

Thanks for contacting us about your disabled Google Account.

Unfortunately, your account access can't be restored. Our review found that it was used in a way that violated Google's policies.

To learn more, visit Google's Terms of Service.

Looking at those didn't explain a thing, they quite clearly say that pseudonyms etc. are allowed.

So we are more than a little "annoyed" by this. We're not bothered about having any accounts with Google, but we would like to be able to leave comments on YouTube channels that we like to watch. Apparently, this is against some mysterious "policy" which they won't tell us about.

Oh well, stuff you, Google, goodbye and good riddance  :curse:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: [Censored] Google « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 04:15:26 PM » Author: BT25
I've pretty much done the same thing...except gmail. I've never commented on @&$-tube...don't care or want to. I do as little as possible to support the Tech-Tyrants...Google, Amazon, Farcebook, Microsoft etc.
Anyone got a suggestion for email not connected with the above clowns?

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: [Censored] Google « Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 06:34:20 PM » Author: Rommie
We got email through our own domain name, but I do like to comment on YT occasionally. Oh well.

As for Microsoft, that's easy, switch to Linux. We use Fedora, but there are plenty of different versions out there.For email, try Proton, that's who we use for our VPN, they also have an email service. See www.protonmail.com for info. It's not free, but it's well worth the expense in our view.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: [Censored] Google « Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 08:38:32 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, for email if you want to get away from Big Tech, I'd either get a (paid) address using your own domain name and paid email hosting or look into Proton mail as Rommie mentioned. I've heard good things about them but never personally used it. IIRC Proton offers a basic email package for free.

I find it too hard to fully disconnect from Big Tech unfortunately but I don't comment on YT or upload videos for that matter so I keep a more limited presence compared to most people. Yeah the Big Tech companies really don't like people making accounts under a assumed name/pseudonym, I suppose to better track you. Another issue I have is the push by them to normalize giving out your personal phone number in order to keep or verify a existing account. Some even go to the trouble of buying up lists of numbers tied to a SIM card to block people who use VOIP based numbers which are easier to obtain multiple of.

Facebook is largely easy to disconnect from although the marketplace seems to have taken often in terms of market share compared to CL/Kijiji so stuff sometimes only gets posted on marketplace. I suppose you could try to make a new account just for marketplace with a pseudonym.

Oh and don't download and use the official "app" either, a lot of tech companies push you to use their app over just using the website on desktop/mobile since it lets them track you easier compared to just a browser. Stuff like location, your device "fingerprint" etc
Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

feel free to ask questions

Re: [Censored] Google « Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 02:21:40 AM » Author: Alex
Regarding that topic I can recommend The tyranny of big tech by US Senator josh hawley. (ISBN 978-1982138912)

Glück auf ⚒️

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: [Censored] Google « Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 06:22:41 AM » Author: Econolite03
In regards to ditching Gmail: use coconuts with a strings attached to communicate, that way no tech / com party big or small is involved.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: [Censored] Google « Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 10:18:34 AM » Author: Rommie
That's a thought, but (a) I don't think I've got enough string and (b) where would I keep it all if I did..?  :mrg:

By the way, I do recommend that everyone uses a VPN at all times while online, especially if like us your ISP gives you a static IP address. Also you can spoof the country you are supposedly in if you want to stream stuff that isn't normally available where you are. We use ProtonVPN but other flavours are available. We also use Incogni, who take care of removing your personal data from the servers of data brokers who buy and sell personal details. Again, these aren't free services (although I think limited versions of ProtonVPN and ProtonMail are available free, not 100% sure though) but the cost is well worth the peace of mind in our opinion. No, we're not getting paid to say any of that, we're just well satisfied customers.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 01:59:21 PM by Rommie » Logged

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: [Censored] Google « Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 01:54:58 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
With VPN you have to chose carefully as not all providers are trustworthy and least are those free VPN services. Just like with any other services run by a corporation, there is no free lunch.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: [Censored] Google « Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 01:57:33 PM » Author: Rommie
We checked Proton very carefully. They're based in Switzerland where they have very strict privacy laws. They own all their server centres outright and they're in deep underground bunkers under the Alps and other very secure locations. I can genuinely recommend them.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: [Censored] Google « Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 01:59:03 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah the phrase "If the product is free, you are the product" comes to mind in situations such as this.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: [Censored] Google « Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 02:00:06 PM » Author: Rommie
I'm not free, I cost a fortune, ask Sammi  :mrg:

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: [Censored] Google « Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 07:48:47 PM » Author: BT25
 :lol:

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies