Author Topic: A HPS thorn pilote facing to my mother home (Behaviors during the inital run-up)  (Read 3578 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

A HPS thorn pilote facing to my mother home (Behaviors during the inital run-up) « on: March 31, 2010, 04:10:57 AM » Author: dor123
http://picasaweb.google.com/110595932802324922410/Lighting?authkey=Gv1sRgCI6D9bav-ezxcQ#5454676773878270658
Before the sodium started to vaporise the lamp changed colors between sodium, xenon and mercury nonstop and flashed wildly (Although my camera didn't capture the flashes as you can see). What caused this?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:35:32 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A HPS thorn pilote facing to my mother home (Behaviors during the inital run-up) « Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 03:20:00 PM » Author: Medved
Uneven amalgam settling. As different layers evaporate, the Na/Hg ratio change, so does the discharge color. I would not give it any significance, if the color settle after ~1minute...

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A HPS thorn pilote facing to my mother home (Behaviors during the inital run-up) « Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 03:58:41 AM » Author: dor123
Medved: But there was also flashing that not captured by my camera. What caused them?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A HPS thorn pilote facing to my mother home (Behaviors during the inital run-up) « Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 10:53:31 AM » Author: Xytrell
I think that's just part of the warmup phase. As different materials enter the arc, it can change color and intensity. I find it very noticeable on warm white metal halides. I have one that flashes strange colors during warmup.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A HPS thorn pilote facing to my mother home (Behaviors during the inital run-up) « Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 11:54:01 AM » Author: dor123
I don't means colored flashs like the orange flashes in NA-SC MHs. But regular flashes. This is a HPS lamp in the thorn pilote fixture, and it is flashed wildly before the sodium vaporised. I think it had to do with the ignitor of this lamp.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A HPS thorn pilote facing to my mother home (Behaviors during the inital run-up) « Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 12:51:01 PM » Author: Medved
No, ignitors are able to deliver only tiny amount of energy, so corresponding flashes are barely visible even in the darkness (tiny sparks). High intensity flashing originate from the main arc - moving clouds of different composition, moving arc root hot-spot, so corresponding brief rectification effects, etc.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A HPS thorn pilote facing to my mother home (Behaviors during the inital run-up) « Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 01:38:40 AM » Author: dor123
Medved: So it had to do with the ballast. Since every lamp that would be installed within this street light will be flashed like that during the initial run-up, before the sodium vaporize. The former HPS lamp was do so and so do the curret lamp. Remember that this lamp was flashed wildly when already during the initial run-up (Ignition was sucessful). My camera was simply can't catch these flashes.
By the way, the former HPS lamp in this fixture broke the record of speed of run-up of all HPS lamps i saw everytime, with a run-up time of less then the MVs and most MHs: ~45 sec. It also operated more then 10 years from the fixture was install with it when i was a toddler until several years ago when the HPS lamp suddently went dark and not lit, like with common MH and MV failure. The current HPS lamp isn't so spacial about its run-up time.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A HPS thorn pilote facing to my mother home (Behaviors during the inital run-up) « Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 02:17:25 AM » Author: Medved
HPS are the fastest HID's (both warm-up as well as cool-down), as they have narrow and quite long arctube, so there is not as much mass, but the surface stay quite large.
What i have experiences, on series choke ballast many HID's flash wild during warm-up, regardless of the chemistry inside, so may be it does not happen on CWA, so you are not used to it...

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A HPS thorn pilote facing to my mother home (Behaviors during the inital run-up) « Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 02:39:06 AM » Author: dor123
Most of the HPS lamps i see toady don't flash at all during their initial run-up in reactor ballast. In the past this was more common, but toady almost all new (And old) HPSs fixture don't flash like this fixture in this video.
The run-up time of HPS lamps is usually 4-5 min to reach their final pressure. Only the previous HPS lamp in this fixture was ~45 sec run-up time to final pressure. Well made metal halide and mercury lamps have a faster run-up time then HPS lamps. HPS run-up look fast only in the initial run-up to low pressure vapor and when comparing this to a LPS lamp run-up which do what HPS do in 20-40 secs in 5-10 mins. But it is true that HPS have a very short wait to cool down. In fact they almost shouldn't cool down at all as they restrike at almost full brightness. Only old reddish orange HPS lamps have a long wait for cooling down.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies