Author Topic: Car Door Locks  (Read 2146 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Car Door Locks « on: March 11, 2023, 08:29:56 AM » Author: Cole D.
If you have a vehicle with power door locks, do your locks automatically lock?

In my car, the door locks lock themselves when I get to 15 MPH. And after I stop and turn the engine off, they all unlock when I open my door.

Now on my mom’s car, the doors lock themselves when shifting out of park, but don’t automatic unlock after stoping.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Car Door Locks « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 09:42:17 AM » Author: sol
Mine doesn't lock unless I press the lock button and doesn't unlock unless I press the unlock button. I think it might be because it is a standard transmission. I believe the automatic model did lock but I don't know if it is speed triggered or shifter triggered.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Car Door Locks « Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 10:44:15 AM » Author: joseph_125
I think it depends on the vehicle make, model, and year. Newer vehicles tend to have some form of auto locking while older vehicles tend to not even if equipped with power locks. Of course vehicles with manual locks don't have this either.

IIRC if you look in your owner's manual, there might be a section on how to change the automatic locking behavior or disable it altogether. I know Toyotas used to have a few different locking modes. The process to change the automatic locking behavior was pretty convoluted too. I believe you had to hold down on the lock button while toggling the key.
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Car Door Locks « Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 03:14:44 PM » Author: rjluna2
My car doesn't have power lock, so I need to use the key to lock the car from the outside.  I can't lock the driver side door from inside prior closing.

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: Car Door Locks « Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 03:38:21 PM » Author: merc
If you have a vehicle with power door locks, do your locks automatically lock?

In my car, the door locks lock themselves when I get to 15 MPH. And after I stop and turn the engine off, they all unlock when I open my door.

Now on my mom’s car, the doors lock themselves when shifting out of park, but don’t automatic unlock after stoping.
Not 100% sure, but I think my 2019 van locks the door when reaching 15 kmph (9.3 mph) and at 20 kmph (12.4 mph) it starts complaining if the driver doesn't use the seat belt (the annoying sound gets gradually louder and louder regardless on the speed until the car completely stops and parking brake is applied). As for the parking brake, it applies automatically with turning the engine off. If it the engine is on and the door opens, it yells even louder than it does with the unfastened belt.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Car Door Locks « Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 06:55:04 PM » Author: Bulbman256
My car (2011 accord coupe) will locked the doors for you when you go above 10mph (16.1kmh) and will unlocked them whenever you put it into park. My car also does a weird thing where if you push the unlock button on the fob once, it will unlock just the drivers side door, and when you hit it again it also unlocks the passenger side door.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Car Door Locks « Reply #6 on: March 11, 2023, 07:42:14 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 The fob on my Mercury will do the same thing ! FUN FACT : if you toss the fob in the trunk and close it , the trunk will pop back open !! (I wouldn't recommend trying this unless you have a 2nd set of keys nearby just in case !!)  :lol:

Redarding the original comment , the auto lock feature can be changed or disabled . Some cars require a trip to the dealer for programming while some only need the owner's manual to do it as mentioned above . Some vehicles even let you set the exact speed you want the doors to lock at .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Car Door Locks « Reply #7 on: March 11, 2023, 08:45:16 PM » Author: Cole D.
My car also does a weird thing where if you push the unlock button on the fob once, it will unlock just the drivers side door, and when you hit it again it also unlocks the passenger side door.

That’s pretty common actually that I’ve seen. Both of my cars so far have done that, you can usually reprogram it to unlock all the doors on the first press. But I believe it’s a safety feature to keep people from getting in that may be hiding on the passenger side when you might not want them to.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Car Door Locks « Reply #8 on: March 11, 2023, 08:48:28 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Yep !  :police:

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Car Door Locks « Reply #9 on: March 11, 2023, 08:49:55 PM » Author: Cole D.
I think it depends on the vehicle make, model, and year. Newer vehicles tend to have some form of auto locking while older vehicles tend to not even if equipped with power locks. Of course vehicles with manual locks don't have this either.

IIRC if you look in your owner's manual, there might be a section on how to change the automatic locking behavior or disable it altogether. I know Toyotas used to have a few different locking modes. The process to change the automatic locking behavior was pretty convoluted too. I believe you had to hold down on the lock button while toggling the key.

I thinking it started some time in the 90s, I know with most Dodges it locked at 15 mph where GM would lock either when put in gear or at 15.

Ford cars used to only have the feature if they had keyless entry keypad and then the fobs.

The Toyotas I’ve seen some that locked and some not, maybe the programming was why.

I think it is mainly used since car doors usually don’t come open as easily in a crash if locked. I myself prefer the doors to lock because there have been cases where people stopped at traffic lights or stop signs and someone comes out of nowhere and tries to open the door.

And I myself have a habit of sitting in my car in parking lots sometimes, so it’s nice to have the added peace of mind that the doors will be locked.

form109

View Posts
View Gallery
Vintage Lighting Forever

Re: Car Door Locks « Reply #10 on: March 12, 2023, 03:38:22 AM » Author: form109
My Mom's 2005 Chrysler town & country limited automatically locked the doors when you were over 20 mph. the doors didnt unlock when you shut off the car. but when you opened the drivers door it unlocked all the doors.

my two ford 500s (2006) and ford taurus (2005) locked the doors as soon as the car was in motion.

uncle had a 2009 Yukon denali. in typical GM fashion the doors locked in drive and unlocked in park.

had a 2006 azera that while it was a loaded car it did not have auto locks. so yes it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

honestly i prefer the doors to lock as soon as the car is in motion vs waiting to a certain speed. i find the unlocking after one door is open is a thoughtful feature or version of said feature.

Personally i think that all Lamp Bans are idiotic,the idea of telling us we cant use this lamp type just cause its less efficent is highly (...) in nature...really what good is it going to do?

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Car Door Locks « Reply #11 on: March 17, 2023, 10:01:13 PM » Author: Cole D.
Yeah my friend has a 2008 Silverado and it does that too like the GMC version where it locks and unlocks when shifting in and out of park.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Car Door Locks « Reply #12 on: March 21, 2023, 07:19:06 PM » Author: CEB1993
My old car (04 VW Jetta) had power locks that locked with a satisfying "thunk" when I hit 15 mph. The doors would not automatically unlock when I stopped and put into park.

My current car (16 Subaru Legacy) has power locks that only lock and unlock when I press the button. They lock with a loud "click." It's a really minor thing that my old car did, that this car does not. I have to remember to press lock each time I start driving. When I stop the doors will not automatically unlock when I pull the inside handle. I always have to use the lock/unlock buttons.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Car Door Locks « Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 03:41:14 AM » Author: dor123
My father Subaru XV and my mother Skoda Fabia, don't have their doors looks automatically. They press the lock button on the remote control to lock the doors and the unlock button to unlock them.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Car Door Locks « Reply #14 on: March 22, 2023, 01:19:01 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Dor, please take more care when posting on threads that you actually understand what has been written.

This thread is about what speed the doors lock automatically after you start driving.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies