Author Topic: Question about the humming voliume of the CWA ballasts  (Read 1597 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Question about the humming voliume of the CWA ballasts « on: April 02, 2010, 02:06:04 PM » Author: dor123
True or false: CWA ballasts are humming more loudly then reactor ballasts?
I am asking this as i saw several fixtures (Mostly high and low bays) with US probestarts NA-SC MH lamps (Mostly GE) that hummed extremely loudly and i have never saw the same type of fixtures but with european MH lamps do that.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

bluelights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Question about the humming voliume of the CWA ballasts « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 05:33:19 PM » Author: bluelights
Series choke ballast current waveform is close to sine wave, so it only hums at the base frequency (50/100Hz) and higher harmonics can only be excited by some loosely vibrating material, while I believe the current waveform of a CWA ballast looks like "spikes" pointing up and down, so it has the higher harmonics already present...

"The orange cloud looks like floating nuclear waste."
Save the mercury lamp

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Question about the humming voliume of the CWA ballasts « Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 02:22:30 AM » Author: Medved
CWA uses core saturation to regulate current, so there is way more flux with high harmonic content in the surrounding area, what causes other metallic (mainly ferromagnetic) parts to vibrate (e.g. ballast holding straps,...)
HX or series choke are designed so, they never saturate, so so both magnetostriction and the vibration with other components is much smaller. But some of them (mainly series chokes) do vibrate during lamp warmup, as there is ~15% higher voltage on them, when the lamp is cold, what causes slight saturation.

No more selfballasted c***

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Question about the humming voliume of the CWA ballasts « Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 09:47:47 PM » Author: don93s
It can depend on physical construction. I've had reactor ballasts become extremely loud with age. Some become loud after only a year. The coil becomes loose from the iron core, but can easily be fixed with class H transformer varnish...then they are quiet like new again. I've noticed that CW ballasts are harder to make quieter, however.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies