Author Topic: Rental light left on?  (Read 721 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Rental light left on? « on: March 17, 2023, 10:06:58 PM » Author: Cole D.
Has anyone ever seen a situation where a private area light/rental light was no longer paid for but left on anyway by the utility company?

I discovered the other day there’s a spot where an old house used to be and was demolished. No other houses nearby. But it had a GE M250R2 that was a rental yard light, and even though the house was torn down, the light still works.

It is cycling though.

I’m not going to post a pic, even though I have one, because we al know by now what a GE M250R2 FCO light looks like.  :mrg:

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Rental light left on? « Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 12:15:21 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Yeah, but only temporarily.

There was a nice rental 100w HPS GE M-250A which I believe was factory HPS lighting the front yard of a house. The house it served got torn down along with some of the neighboring houses, but the vegetation and the light remained. For about half a year, the vegetation was left to be and the light was still connected to power, dutifully coming on at dusk and working as it should. Eventually, the vegetation was cleared and ultimately, the light disappeared.

A warehouse sits in the place of the former houses but the pole the M-250A was on still remains and is on borrowed time as everything will be changed out to underground wiring.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 12:20:56 AM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Rental light left on? « Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 10:31:49 AM » Author: Cole D.
Neat, I remember there’s a photo here in the gallery lies from years ago with an abandoned MV NEMA rental that ran for a long time, dayburning until it was removed.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Rental light left on? « Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 02:36:31 PM » Author: sol
I’m not saying it never happens here, but the usual practice is to remove the entire fixture when either the client requests to stop the service or the service is completely removed (for a demolition, for example). Sometimes they leave the bolt in the pole, but they never deactivate lights ; they remove them altogether.

There is a school that was demolished last year and they had two rental lights on the property. Those remain (only one is working, though) but they are in the process of issuing a tender to build a new school on the same property and the school board still has an active account with the power company, obviously.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Rental light left on? « Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 02:57:34 PM » Author: Cole D.
Interesting. Here typically the utility I’m on just removed the photocell and leaves the lamp intact and fixture connected.

There is one NEMA head on my street that was shut off yet the photocell and lamp were left installed, so I’m assuming the fixture was disconnected.

The only times I’ve seen fixtures removed was next door. There were two NEMA rentals there at one time with their photocells removed when disconnected. The one on the transformer pole was removed when the new house was built, as they changed to underground service and I assume the arm was in the way of the conduit.

The other, on its own pole, was left and wired to the transformer on the other pole, until last year. The owner had that pole and fixture removed to build a new garage there.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies