Author Topic: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS  (Read 2795 times)
Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #15 on: April 21, 2023, 01:17:30 PM » Author: Jovan
That sounds nice :) I personally like Samsung and LG TVs/Monitors.They last long and color remains nice over the years.I wish Newton discovered that,now we must discover switch for gravity.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #16 on: April 21, 2023, 10:53:59 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I mainly use windows .. various versions from 8.1 on down to 3.11.

I set up an older PC with Lubuntu for my father to use as an 'internet computer' a number of years ago. Worked fine at the time, but its getting pretty old & outdated now.
This year I had to setup a Win 10 PC for him because a tax software he uses required the vile thing... and vile is a good word to describe that piece of malware they call an OS.
Da mn thing even manages to sneak connections around my network's pi-hole (its not allowed on the network except to update the tax software(tax season is over now so it likely won't even be turned on til next year)) .. but I plan on getting myself a proper firewall at some point.

Might try putting some version of Linux(not sure which I'd go with) on a laptop gotten free, just needs a new harddrive
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 10:56:10 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #17 on: April 22, 2023, 01:58:33 AM » Author: icefoglights
50inch TV back in the day had a lot of weight :) CRTs have deeper colors due to its nature of producing images,also there is no input lag.Black is real black on CRT monitors/TVs.
When I started working for the store that I sometimes work at, a 32" TV was a 2-person lift  :o

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #18 on: April 22, 2023, 10:09:18 AM » Author: Rommie
Might try putting some version of Linux(not sure which I'd go with) on a laptop gotten free, just needs a new harddrive
I can recommend Fedora, it's cutting edge and is constantly updated with almost daily fixes and a new release every 6 months, although you can keep older versions for up to a year before they stop getting updates. See here. A new release (38) is just out, but I recommend leaving it for a month or two until the early adopters have ironed out the inevitable bugs  :lol:

We use the Cinnamon spin for the desktop, but there are plenty of others, look them up. The easiest way to install is from a live USB stick, the instructions are all there.

If you do decide to try it, please let me know. I make no claims to be an expert, but I can probably help with any problems you might come up against.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #19 on: April 22, 2023, 09:32:50 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@Rommie
Thanks.
That's one I was considering, since I've seen it mentioned on here a few times.
Once I pick up a new SSD I'll ask if I come up with any questions.
(If I woulda had more time today I might have bought one, since I was right over near where whats probably the best store in the area to get computer parts is...)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #20 on: April 22, 2023, 09:43:35 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Jovan
  CRTs have deeper colors due to its nature of producing images,also there is no input lag.Black is real black on CRT monitors/TVs.
Yeah CRT monitors have better color (especially when compared to the earlier generation LCDs) .. still have a couple of them in use myself, but I'd gladly give them away free (& replace with a cheap LCD) since they're such bulky heavy things .lol.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #21 on: April 22, 2023, 10:12:15 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, the CRTs looked great compared to the early LCDs, it's better now but CRTs still have better blacks. From what I could tell on my phone screen, OLED looks great too but the tech is quite expensive scaled up to the size of a TV or even a computer monitor.

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #22 on: April 23, 2023, 04:48:56 AM » Author: Jovan
Yeah CRT monitors have better color (especially when compared to the earlier generation LCDs) .. still have a couple of them in use myself, but I'd gladly give them away free (& replace with a cheap LCD) since they're such bulky heavy things .lol.

Also LCDs don't emit X rays,while CRT does.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #23 on: April 23, 2023, 06:13:20 AM » Author: Rommie
Personally I think people worry too much about that, after all we had CRT TV's for years and I don't recall reading any reports of people getting irradiated by X-rays from watching them. A bit like calling out the hazmat team when you break a CFL if you ask me.

Of course I could be wrong, I very often am, but I'd be interested in seeing any evidence of the 'dangers' of CRT screens.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #24 on: April 23, 2023, 11:42:16 AM » Author: joseph_125
IIRC CRTs were usually made of leaded glass to provide X-ray shielding to the user. That said I remember these clip on glass filters being sold at computer stores and used by some people as added protection. I always felt those were a bit gimmicky though.

Got rid of most of my CRTs once I replaced them with LCDs though, too bulky/heavy to keep around. Although I did keep a smaller 21" CRT which also had a built in VCR. Apparently there's subset of retro gamers who still use CRTs for their vintage game consoles as the look of a vintage game console with a CRT looks better than using a modern LCD.
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #25 on: April 24, 2023, 03:04:35 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I have some ubuntu servers and Proxmox cluster that has Debian under the hood. I kind of have love-hate relationship with linux.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #26 on: April 24, 2023, 03:07:12 PM » Author: Rommie
Yeah, as I said, not a great fan of Ubuntu or anything Debian based tbh, it's just too different from the RPM-based systems like Fedora. I've been using Fedora since v10 and I'm too old to change now..!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #27 on: April 24, 2023, 04:49:29 PM » Author: joseph_125
I have a old Dell Optiplex 790 tower that serves as my primary network storage. Mostly for media files such as music and movies. Currently it runs Windows but I did toy around with the idea of migrating the OS on that over to something Linux based that's more optimized for the task it's doing and will hopefully be easier to manage using another PC on the network.

That said, I never really gotten used to Linux. I had to use it on several school computers a while back but I mostly grew up using Windows. I do have a older MacBook that runs MacOS too, I actually had Windows on it for a while but I found it ran better with MacOS.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #28 on: April 24, 2023, 06:20:31 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
As my main machine I've got a Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF which has got an Intel i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40Ghz x 4, with 32GB RAM and a 480GB Kingston SSD.
It's more than enough for my needs.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #29 on: April 24, 2023, 06:53:46 PM » Author: Rommie
Running Fedora 37 Cinnamon. Similar machine here, except mine is a 7020, which is almost the same but not quite, never managed to work out the exact differences though, they look and perform pretty much the same, anyway.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies