Author Topic: Curtis Lighting, Inc. Fluorescent Ceiling Fixtures T17 T12  (Read 2727 times)
skampler

View Posts
View Gallery

Curtis Lighting, Inc. Fluorescent Ceiling Fixtures T17 T12 « on: July 04, 2023, 11:57:33 AM » Author: skampler
I have a lot of these lights in one of my buildings. Some of them are 4 ft T12 and others are 5ft T17. I think they are from the 40s/50s but not sure? They are all metal except for the end caps on some.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Curtis Lighting, Inc. Fluorescent Ceiling Fixtures T17 T12 « Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 05:23:19 PM » Author: Rommie
They look good, you might want to upload the pictures to the gallery though, they'll probably get more views there.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Curtis Lighting, Inc. Fluorescent Ceiling Fixtures T17 T12 « Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 05:36:21 PM » Author: joseph_125
Welcome to LG, these are amazing to see. It's rare to see the old louvered fluorescent fixtures as well preserved as this. The 5ft T17 versions are really hard to come by too. The 4ft F40T12 model was known as the 4060 and the 5ft F90T17 model was known as the 4061. Here's the catalogue page for these.
skampler

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Curtis Lighting, Inc. Fluorescent Ceiling Fixtures T17 T12 « Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 07:33:26 PM » Author: skampler
They look good, you might want to upload the pictures to the gallery though, they'll probably get more views there.

I will thanks!

Welcome to LG, these are amazing to see. It's rare to see the old louvered fluorescent fixtures as well preserved as this. The 5ft T17 versions are really hard to come by too. The 4ft F40T12 model was known as the 4060 and the 5ft F90T17 model was known as the 4061. Here's the catalogue page for these.

Thanks! Thats an amazing reference, I don't know how you found that! It looks like it's from 1947. I have about 50 of these fixtures, but we are remodeling and taking them out. Not sure what to do with them!
skampler

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Curtis Lighting, Inc. Fluorescent Ceiling Fixtures T17 T12 « Reply #4 on: July 04, 2023, 07:35:04 PM » Author: skampler
Found a box of T17s in the attic  @-@
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Curtis Lighting, Inc. Fluorescent Ceiling Fixtures T17 T12 « Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 08:35:40 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Are any of the F40 louvers preheat?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Minoa

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Curtis Lighting, Inc. Fluorescent Ceiling Fixtures T17 T12 « Reply #6 on: July 05, 2023, 09:20:15 AM » Author: Minoa
I will thanks!

Thanks! Thats an amazing reference, I don't know how you found that! It looks like it's from 1947. I have about 50 of these fixtures, but we are remodeling and taking them out. Not sure what to do with them!
I cannot rule out someone inside and outside of LG wanting them, especially if they are from the late-1940s: therefore, it is advisable not to treat them as scrap metal yet.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Curtis Lighting, Inc. Fluorescent Ceiling Fixtures T17 T12 « Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 03:22:36 PM » Author: joseph_125
It's good you have some spare T17 lamps for the fixtures, those haven't been made for about ten years now and old stock lamps are getting harder to find. These louvered fixtures, particularly ones as old as these are pretty collectable and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find new homes for them if you decide you don't want them anymore.     

In order to find the exact year, there might be something like a date code on the ballast, if you can post a picture of the ballast compartment that would be a good place to start.

I'm surprised these didn't get that much attention, if you repost it to the gallery you might get some more attention.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 03:24:44 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
skampler

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Curtis Lighting, Inc. Fluorescent Ceiling Fixtures T17 T12 « Reply #8 on: July 10, 2023, 11:42:50 AM » Author: skampler
Are any of the F40 louvers preheat?

Is that the little circle thing by the end of the bulb? I think so, yes. Here's some pictures of the 4ft ones. You can see the paint on the ceiling bracket is peeling into little slivers, it's odd.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 11:45:04 AM by skampler » Logged
skampler

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Curtis Lighting, Inc. Fluorescent Ceiling Fixtures T17 T12 « Reply #9 on: July 10, 2023, 11:45:56 AM » Author: skampler
I also found a couple 5ft ones with two support arms instead of one in the center. You can see the paint is peeling.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Curtis Lighting, Inc. Fluorescent Ceiling Fixtures T17 T12 « Reply #10 on: July 10, 2023, 12:05:29 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Is that the little circle thing by the end of the bulb? I think so, yes. Here's some pictures of the 4ft ones. You can see the paint on the ceiling bracket is peeling into little slivers, it's odd.

I noticed that some of them do have some very early rapid start conversions judging by the starter hole covers and early rapid start ballasts. This definitely is evidence that they originally were preheat.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Curtis Lighting, Inc. Fluorescent Ceiling Fixtures T17 T12 « Reply #11 on: July 10, 2023, 12:30:56 PM » Author: joseph_125
The example you have is from a preheat unit that had been converted to rapid start something during its service life. It was common for ballast manufacturers during the 1960s and 1970s to offer a rapid start conversion kit that included new lampholders and knockout fillers for the starter holes. On the preheat version a starter would be in the hole (looks like a small metal or plastic can) and if you twist it CCW, you can remove it. 

Kind of odd the paint on the stem hangers is peeling but I suppose the lights are quite old and it the building isn't air conditioned, the humidity might have gotten to it over the years. Generally the double stem hangers were used for singular installs while the two single stem hangers at each end were intended for row mounting multiple units but also can be used for singular installs.
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Curtis Lighting, Inc. Fluorescent Ceiling Fixtures T17 T12 « Reply #12 on: July 13, 2023, 07:45:35 AM » Author: nicksfans
Where are you located? I think quite a few people here would love to have these.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

skampler

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Curtis Lighting, Inc. Fluorescent Ceiling Fixtures T17 T12 « Reply #13 on: July 13, 2023, 03:00:12 PM » Author: skampler
I am in the Texas panhandle, kind of remote. I have converted some of them to LED by bypassing the ballast, but the ballasts are still in them. I don't know which ones are still good, but I know some had some black stuff on them. I went around and counted all of the fixtures:

5ft t17: 22 fixtures
4ft t12: 31 fixtures

So a total of 53 fixtures! That's crazy because there are some rooms they replaced these with modern flat ceiling fluorescent fixtures. There were probably closer to 100 if they were never replaced.

I found a schoolhouse light fixture in the attic from the 30s I think. Makes me wonder what this place looked like when it was built, which I'm guessing the 30s? But I actually have no idea because it was added on to multiple times.

Anyways, I need to get rid of these lights but will gladly sell them to the highest bidder  :D
skampler

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Curtis Lighting, Inc. Fluorescent Ceiling Fixtures T17 T12 « Reply #14 on: July 13, 2023, 03:05:14 PM » Author: skampler
Is there a market for these types of lights? Just wondering if I cleaned them up could I sell them on ebay or something? Yeah they would suck to ship, but if they are worth a lot of money then shipping for $100 or whatever might be worth it, I don't know. What do you guys think I should do?  ??? ???
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies