Author Topic: Lumac Helios street fixture  (Read 723 times)
Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Lumac Helios street fixture « on: July 16, 2023, 12:28:59 AM » Author: Richmond2000
I was looking at the web catalogue for Lumec and saw a HID cobra head street lantern
wondering if anybody has seen one "in the wild"
https://www.signify.com/en-ca/products/outdoor-luminaires/road-and-street/cobra-heads/helios-cobra-head-hbs
to me it looks British / European MORE then American

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lumac Helios street fixture « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2023, 02:09:34 PM » Author: Michael
As I remember that Lumec designed this fixture together with Schréder GIE back then when these both companies were partners. It was also planed to introduce the Helios into the European market but that obviously never happened. Some time later both companies ended their partnership and instead Lumec headed for Philips (Signify).
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Lumac Helios street fixture « Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 02:15:39 PM » Author: Maxim
I’ve seen this lamp in a few areas, I just don’t remember where. Saw these YEARS ago; somewhere far from home but definitely on the USA.

I will agree with the statement regarding its looks. It looks to be a European fixture for sure!

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Lumac Helios street fixture « Reply #3 on: July 16, 2023, 02:29:25 PM » Author: joseph_125
I've seem them around Ontario and Quebec although I think LED killed off a good number of them. The relamping is kind of like some European streetlights too, it relamps from behind the reflector like a car headlight instead of from the "front" of the reflector.

I believe the first generation GE M-400A FCO relamped in a similar manner. 
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Lumac Helios street fixture « Reply #4 on: July 16, 2023, 03:00:41 PM » Author: Foxtronix
I confirm they at least used to be around in Quebec. If I remember correctly a good number of them were in service in Trois-Rivieres, QC as of 2008-09. Probably gone today though!

On the other hand there's quite possibly a great deal of units still in service on provincial freeways and highways as Quebec's transport ministry, while they began converting their road lighting to LED, are far from being done yet.

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lumac Helios street fixture « Reply #5 on: July 16, 2023, 06:13:09 PM » Author: Michael
Schréder did provide the patented Sealsafe reflector unit for this lantern. Same as the MC (ZX in Britain) range uses. In the mid 2000 both companies did made a survey and released an internal paper about this lantern and its dust/ moisture tightness. It was foreseen that the Hungarian factory Tungsram- Schréder would be the main maker of this lantern range for the European market. 
Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Lumac Helios street fixture « Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 05:12:14 AM » Author: Richmond2000
found a LG er that has pics of them around Calgary Canada
the 2000s release sealed its fate
and for the lens / reflector assy there is/was one listed on EBAY interesting idea being one piece and NOT a drop open lens like American cobra's
Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Lumac Helios street fixture « Reply #7 on: August 06, 2023, 12:17:32 AM » Author: Richmond2000
found a vender selling them in Quebec and the list price is a LOT higher then LEDs from the same vender but also they want MORE for 100 watt then 150 by about $400 !!!!
https://www.lumen.ca/en/products/18-lighting/02-fixtures/05-outdoor-lighting-fixtures/05-pole-mount-area-lighting/07-pole-mount-area-lights/p-TFVNSEJTQjQxNVMxMjBDV0lSQ0hR-lumhbsb415s120cwirchq-philips-lumec-hbs-150hps-ed235-lumec-high-pressure-sodium-lamp-included-150-w-120---277-v-gray
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies