Author Topic: Advice removing a NEMA head off of ingrown pine tree?  (Read 744 times)
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Advice removing a NEMA head off of ingrown pine tree? « on: July 24, 2023, 10:35:38 PM » Author: Maxim
Hi,

So my friend bought himself a cabin deep in the mountains of rural New York; it (was) in terrible shape, but at least it has some cool lighting. This fixture was wired in the most redneck way possible, and the wiring was cut by the bank (probably because it was a safety hazard). The pine tree on which the fixture is located has grown into the mounting plate; I’ve scraped away some bark, but the metric bolts that the installer utilized will not budge.

I have removed the refractor, bowl assy, and lamp. Really all that is left is the gear, housing, and photocell. I do not want to scrap the fixture as it seems to be a proper NEMA head, and has survived 20+ freezing New York winters, and is still in livable shape. I just cannot seem to get the bolts off; though I am using imperial wrench sockets, so I guess that might be the issue, but I do not believe I have any metric variants of these sockets on hand at the moment. Would there be any alternate way to get the housing off? The pine on which it is located is about 95% dead.

Any ideas???

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Advice removing a NEMA head off of ingrown pine tree? « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 10:44:31 AM » Author: Foxtronix
I think the best option would be to drill the heads off. With a drill bit just a bit larger than the threads, if you drill right in the centre of the bolt heads (a centre punch is most certainly going to help here), they should come off once you reach the bolt itself.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Advice removing a NEMA head off of ingrown pine tree? « Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 02:23:19 PM » Author: joseph_125
You have several options. Before I'd drill into the heads, I'd try to track down the correct size socket for it and a decent breaker bar and power impact wrench if you have access to one and then try to remove the bolts using that. Strange they used metric though as imperial bolts were typically supplied with these.

Failing that, if the bolts have slightly loosened, you could try to cut the heads off using a sawzall or a hacksaw or try drilling them out. If you have a left hand drill bit the correct size, those will work better as the direction of drilling helps to loosen the bolt as you drill.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Advice removing a NEMA head off of ingrown pine tree? « Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 06:46:57 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Ermm, it's a bit drastic... C4.??  :wndr:  :mrg:

Seriously though, maybe an angle grinder with a cutting disc would do the job.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 06:52:48 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Advice removing a NEMA head off of ingrown pine tree? « Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 07:59:44 PM » Author: joseph_125
I have a oscillating tool with a small metal cutting blade that works great for reaching into nooks and crannies for cutting off bolts.
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Advice removing a NEMA head off of ingrown pine tree? « Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 12:35:47 AM » Author: Maxim
So, I got it off earlier this evening! It’s an early model ITT/American Electric R-175M with an Area Lighting Research photocell. Running its original Philips Lifeguard H39KB-175!!! Cannot believe I have a “Philips” Lifeguard in my possession; and I thought it was cheap junk!

My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Advice removing a NEMA head off of ingrown pine tree? « Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 07:00:39 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Congratulations.!  8)

Did you have to resort to the C4.??  :mrg:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Advice removing a NEMA head off of ingrown pine tree? « Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 09:19:49 AM » Author: Maxim
No.  ;D

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies