Author Topic: Proper Ballast for Metal- Halide Lamp 2000W  (Read 617 times)
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Proper Ballast for Metal- Halide Lamp 2000W « on: July 29, 2023, 09:36:03 AM » Author: Michael
Is there a way to run a double ended Osram HQI-TS 2000W/D/S (short bare arc tube) on existing HPMV/QMH 2000W 8.8Amps.?

I know that these lamps are different to the older well established HQI-T 2000W/N/I. The TS type needs up to 11A current.

Thank’s
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Proper Ballast for Metal- Halide Lamp 2000W « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 04:48:56 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
 I am very certain that these lamps either need choke ballasts designed for 380v-400v phase to phase supplies or special autotransformer ballasts on a regular 220v-240v single phase supply.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Proper Ballast for Metal- Halide Lamp 2000W « Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 05:32:07 AM » Author: Michael
In Europe these lamps always use choke ballasts on 380-415 V but the older HQI type “N” lamps are constructed for MV 2000W ballasts with 8.8A current. The modern 2000W lamps are built for higher 10.3A or 11A current.

I’m not mentioning here the 2000W 230V type as it is a completely different lamp.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Proper Ballast for Metal- Halide Lamp 2000W « Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 05:34:30 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Autotransformer ballasts for these lamps on 220v-240v would simply be impractical because they would certainly draw a huge amount of current for sure on such circuits and they would certainly be less efficient when used that way.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Proper Ballast for Metal- Halide Lamp 2000W « Reply #4 on: August 01, 2023, 06:29:25 AM » Author: Michael
I have access to three phase 400V circuits at many places but no 11A ballast.
LightBulbFun

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Proper Ballast for Metal- Halide Lamp 2000W « Reply #5 on: August 01, 2023, 12:12:44 PM » Author: LightBulbFun
Is there a way to run a double ended Osram HQI-TS 2000W/D/S (short bare arc tube) on existing HPMV/QMH 2000W 8.8Amps.?

I know that these lamps are different to the older well established HQI-T 2000W/N/I. The TS type needs up to 11A current.

Thank’s

to give you a proper answer, checking the electrical specifications of a 2Kw HQI-TS/D shows it to be 190V 11.3A, (compared to 240V 8.8A of a regular 2Kw lamp)  so the lower arc voltage might bring the current up by itself, without the need to play around with different ballasts

of course this will overload the choke somewhat, so not something id recommend long-term/with a weedy choke, but may work well enough for testing purposes

if the current is still not high enough,

I would use the 8.8A choke and then a couple smaller 220-240V chokes wired in *series* that is then added in parallel with the 8.8A choke

I would try 2 150W SON chokes wired in series, and take it from there :) (so your effectively making a "300W" 1.8A 440-480V choke) and then added in parallel to the 8.8A choke

but again due to the fact the 8.8A choke will be somewhat overloaded its not something id necessarily recommend for a permanent install etc

alternatively if you want something thats a bit more robust/could in theory be used longer term, I would try, 2 1000W SON chokes in series since those will be rated for 10.3A :) and then likewise "topped up" with a couple more smaller chokes in series, added in parallel to the main 2 1000W SON chokes

(again perhaps 2 150W SON chokes)

this sort of installation may prove to actually be more robust then a dedicated ballast since your effectively making a 480V choke, that you will then only be running at 380V-415V so will run cooler as a result :)

hope this helps! :)

My other hobby is buses, especially the Routemaster (formerly Bulb Freak)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies