Author Topic: Stuck 8 Spline Lug Nuts  (Read 1389 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Stuck 8 Spline Lug Nuts « on: August 11, 2023, 12:39:15 AM » Author: suzukir122
Under my six awesome 50w Metal Halide Wallpacks, is my sportcar and sportbike... both of which are out of commission for now.
With my sportcar, it's due to a flat tire/damaged wheel. Since I'm using very bright/reliable lighting, I have the ability to
take care of this myself. I have a new wheel ready to install... but unfortunately my 8 spline lug nuts are stuck. Added to that,
I cannot find the key for them, and unfortunately those lug nuts are NOWHERE to be found online, which means I can't buy a replacement key.
So, I've tried to use a 12 point socket wrench with a breaker bar. I've even gone as far as using my FOOT, to break loose the lug screw,
(stomping on the breaker bar: not recommended) but unfortunately all it did was begin stripping the lug.
I'm completely lost in terms of what to do next.
I'll add a pic of what these particular 8 spline lug nuts look like. Like I said before: I can't find these specific lug nuts online, at all.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 12:43:05 AM by suzukir122 » Logged

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Stuck 8 Spline Lug Nuts « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 12:46:59 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/universal-wheel-lock-key-locking-lug-nuts/p/dorman-autograde-spline-key-adapter/537509_0_0?spps.s=4598&cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:GEN:19502231967&&CATARGETID=120054150001287257&CADevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjwldKmBhCCARIsAP-0rfxJQTrBn4rzTk5-EZfeqF45fNoXPWRnygUT2R9ixTqRPoLz5QZNnoAaAszOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Check Autozone . 

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Stuck 8 Spline Lug Nuts « Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 03:02:54 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Wide-lite 1000, I'm gonna give Autozone a try when I'm free again,... ;D since they're just up the road. I'm not confident in using a universal wheel locking
key based on my large track list of failed results, but I'll definitely give it a try! That car has been sitting in my garage for the last four months
because of this.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Stuck 8 Spline Lug Nuts « Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 06:57:28 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Our mechanics at work regularly have to resort to air chiselling them off when no key/adapter is available, and it takes a while without damage the alloys!  :o

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Stuck 8 Spline Lug Nuts « Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 12:50:35 PM » Author: suzukir122
I'm worried that these lug screws might all be seized up. I really hope this is not the case. My next potential idea is to use WD-40 as
a penetrating oil, combined with using a universal key... but I'm not confident about it.

Interests:

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Stuck 8 Spline Lug Nuts « Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 05:02:57 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
PB Blaster is a hell of a lot better than WD-40 . Spray it on and let it soak overnight if possible .

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Stuck 8 Spline Lug Nuts « Reply #6 on: August 18, 2023, 10:00:11 PM » Author: Bulbman256
PB blaster is in a league of its own, that stuff worked magic on my buddy's rusted out BMW 528 when we changed the clutch. ;D

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Stuck 8 Spline Lug Nuts « Reply #7 on: August 18, 2023, 10:31:07 PM » Author: suzukir122
I soaked WD-40 on all 5 of the lug screws a few hours ago. I plan on buying PB blaster if Autozone near me or Oriellys sells them, tomorrow. I'll add PB
as well. I'm also gonna get screw extractors (again) and see if they can help me unscrew these stubborn lug nuts. This time, larger screw extractors,
since the ones I bought before were too small.

Interests:

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Stuck 8 Spline Lug Nuts « Reply #8 on: August 18, 2023, 10:32:33 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Good luck !  Keep us informed .

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Stuck 8 Spline Lug Nuts « Reply #9 on: August 18, 2023, 10:37:25 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Wide-lite 1000, I will definitely keep you guys informed! Funny thing is, both the Autozone and the Orielly cashiers both concluded that I may have
to drill these lug screws out, and also damage the wheel studs in the process. They both claimed that I may need to damage and replace my wheel studs.
I'm hoping they're incorrect, and that I don't have to take it that far.

Interests:

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Stuck 8 Spline Lug Nuts « Reply #10 on: August 18, 2023, 10:43:57 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 It is possible ! In my years of screwing with cars I've only had to destroy a wheel stud twice .

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Stuck 8 Spline Lug Nuts « Reply #11 on: August 18, 2023, 11:18:30 PM » Author: suzukir122
Five wheel studs would be damaged... I seriously hope I don't have to do that. Damaging and then also replacing wheel studs is not my forte, even with the
potential help of YouTube. lol

Interests:

Bottled lightning

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Stuck 8 Spline Lug Nuts « Reply #12 on: August 19, 2023, 03:13:53 AM » Author: Bottled lightning
They make extractor sockets(like screw extractors except they thread onto the outside of the nut instead of the inside).

You could also try hammering on a normal 8 point socket.

I've also heard of people welding a normal nut onto damaged nuts/bolts (if you do this I believe it is recommended to put the welder ground clamp on the wheel rather than the car frame so you aren't running current through the wheel bearings).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 04:07:28 AM by Bottled lightning » Logged
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Stuck 8 Spline Lug Nuts « Reply #13 on: August 19, 2023, 05:20:23 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Bottled Lightning, my previous message was incorrect. I meant to say that I'll be purchasing extractor sockets again, not screw extractors.
I have purchased extractor sockets, but all of them were too small to fit.
I haven't tried using screw extractors yet, and I'm not sure if I plan on it. Extractor sockets, however, I do plan on purchasing again. This
time, bigger extractor sockets, with the added WD-40 and PB blaster.

Interests:

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Stuck 8 Spline Lug Nuts « Reply #14 on: August 23, 2023, 11:28:29 PM » Author: suzukir122
Update: I found a socket extractor that pulled those 8 spline lug screws out like a charm. Breaker bar also did the trick. Thanks to Harbor Freight Tools... now the part of lifting the car and taking the old wheel/tire off... first time ever lifting a car, and this car is one of my prized possessions. Not too confident about it.

Interests:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies