Author Topic: What ballast can I use to run an 50W SON-I HPS lamp?  (Read 689 times)
Indalux

View Posts
View Gallery

prnlighting
What ballast can I use to run an 50W SON-I HPS lamp? « on: August 29, 2023, 08:47:28 AM » Author: Indalux
I have some new Philips 50W HPS SON-I lamps, but I don't have a 50W ballast to run them.

Is there an alternative to running these lamps with MV or fluorescence ballasts?

Thanks for your help!

English is not my native lenguage, sorry if I make mistakes.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: What ballast can I use to run an 50W SON-I HPS lamp? « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 01:28:38 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Your closest alternative could be to use a 58W T8 preheat fluorescent tube series choke ballast since the European 58W T8 fluorescent tubes have a similar operating current compared to European 50W high pressure sodium lamps. Even though the high pressure sodium lamps have a lower arc voltage drop compared to the 58W T8 fluorescent tubes, their lower power factor and rising arc voltage drop will help keep the T8 fluorescent tube choke ballast cool.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

jjjo___06 200713249@N04/albums
Re: What ballast can I use to run an 50W SON-I HPS lamp? « Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 11:08:56 PM » Author: Robotjulep
Do SON-I lamps have internal ignitor?

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What ballast can I use to run an 50W SON-I HPS lamp? « Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 11:58:37 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Yes. Any European high pressure sodium lamp designated as ‘SON-I’ has an internal ignitor, which is usually in the form of a glowbottle starter.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Indalux

View Posts
View Gallery

prnlighting
Re: What ballast can I use to run an 50W SON-I HPS lamp? « Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 02:19:12 AM » Author: Indalux
Your closest alternative could be to use a 58W T8 preheat fluorescent tube series choke ballast since the European 58W T8 fluorescent tubes have a similar operating current compared to European 50W high pressure sodium lamps. Even though the high pressure sodium lamps have a lower arc voltage drop compared to the 58W T8 fluorescent tubes, their lower power factor and rising arc voltage drop will help keep the T8 fluorescent tube choke ballast cool.

Thanks! I'm gonna try with an 58W ballast.

I also have a 50W mercury vapor ballast. Could it be worth it or would the lamp or ballast suffer a lot?

The ballast indicates that the amperage would be 0.62A and power factor 0.41

English is not my native lenguage, sorry if I make mistakes.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What ballast can I use to run an 50W SON-I HPS lamp? « Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 02:42:03 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
The 50w mercury vapor choke ballast might underdrive it quite a bit, but power factor has no effect on lamp life at all.

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What ballast can I use to run an 50W SON-I HPS lamp? « Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 12:06:43 AM » Author: Michael
I can send you a couple of Philips made ballasts which I currently trowing away as we replace SON lamps to LED bulbs. These ballasts were installed in Philips Iridium fixtures…

Let me know if you’re interested.  ;)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies