Author Topic: Wanted: Affordable low-wattage ceramic metal halide lamps and ballasts  (Read 868 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Wanted: Affordable low-wattage ceramic metal halide lamps and ballasts « on: August 31, 2023, 06:41:23 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Preferably in warm white color temperatures to put into incandescent fixtures.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 04:39:36 AM by HIDLad001 » Logged

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Wanted: Affordable low-wattage ceramic metal halide lamps and ballasts « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 07:56:53 PM » Author: BT25
Do an eBay search for Philips Master-Color MHC50/U/3K.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Wanted: Affordable low-wattage ceramic metal halide lamps and ballasts « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 08:45:33 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Most low wattage ceramic metal halide lamps can safely be used on same wattage quartz metal halide ballasts, but there are certain types that are only compatible with dedicated electronic ballasts.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: Affordable low-wattage ceramic metal halide lamps and ballasts « Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 09:02:50 AM » Author: HIDLad001
Do CMH lamps like to explode? For an open fixture, would I need an open-rated lamp or a shield?

Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Wanted: Affordable low-wattage ceramic metal halide lamps and ballasts « Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 05:04:44 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
I don't think CMH lamps are prone to explosion, as the arc tube is made out of PCA - the same material used for a HPS arc tube. Regular PSMH lamps' arc tubes are made of quartz glass, which is prone to explosion.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 01:17:03 AM by LightsoftheWest » Logged

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wanted: Affordable low-wattage ceramic metal halide lamps and ballasts « Reply #5 on: September 02, 2023, 04:42:14 AM » Author: HIDLad001
I still decided to play it safe, and since protected lamps are readily available, I picked up a pair of Philips MHC70/C/U/MP/3K protected 70w lamps on eBay for $23.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Wanted: Affordable low-wattage ceramic metal halide lamps and ballasts « Reply #6 on: September 02, 2023, 02:14:22 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
If you still want unprotected lamps, you can always use them in a proper enclosed fixture.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies