Author Topic: Who makes the best small engine?  (Read 3751 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Who makes the best small engine? « on: September 04, 2023, 05:28:30 AM » Author: HIDLad001
Honda? Briggs & Stratton? Someone else? What do you think?

Personally, I think Honda make the best small engines, because they run nice and quiet, and they are very easy to start, usually starting on the first pull.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 05:31:32 AM by HIDLad001 » Logged

Officially returned to Lighting-Gallery!!

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Who makes the best small engine? « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 05:45:58 AM » Author: Econolite03
The one that I think is pretty dependable is those old Wisconsin VF4s.

Now on Linktree

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who makes the best small engine? « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 06:09:48 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
I deal with a lot of small engines.  Honda gets top picks.  Tecumseh was great for Snowblowers and lawnmowers, but they went out of the small engine business years ago.  Had a hard time making engines to pass tough emissions standards.  I have an Ariens walk behind mower with a Robin Subaru engine which does well, and I had several John Deere walk behind mowers over the years that had the Kawasaki ohv engine which were the best out there at the time.  Kholer does ok.  B&S made good mower engines, and their snowblower engines have gotten better over the years.  I maintain a fleet of snowblowers with their engines.  They have some issues but many got worked out.   As for small engines made in the USA, about all that's left is some of the Hondas.  Everything else has been sourced to overseas. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who makes the best small engine? « Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 08:19:34 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
Depends on "Makes" or "Made". Probably Briggs and Stratton made the best engines in the past but their new OHV stuff is pretty bad. Kohler is kind of overrated in my opinion, some of their engines were good (e.g. Command single cylinders) but most of their stuff dosen't impress me. I don't like the Honda "GC" residential series very much but the GX commercial series is probably the best engine you can get nowdays. And I would say Kawasaki is overrated, but they are probably one of the better engines now, given what you have to choose from. And nobody likes Tecumseh!
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who makes the best small engine? « Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 08:21:29 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
The one that I think is pretty dependable is those old Wisconsin VF4s.

Not sure if those were "small engines" or not. But Wisconsin made some great engines back in the day!
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Who makes the best small engine? « Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 09:47:40 AM » Author: HIDLad001
I agree with you. The modern Briggs OHV engines are garbage, and the company doesn’t exactly have the best business practices either (like their “No Oil Change Required - Just Check and Add” thing).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 09:57:07 AM by HIDLad001 » Logged

Officially returned to Lighting-Gallery!!

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Who makes the best small engine? « Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 09:36:58 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Yamaha

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Who makes the best small engine? « Reply #7 on: September 08, 2023, 11:48:02 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Yes, Honda all the way!, the Japanese excel in small diesels too, Kubota’s D series comes to mind  8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 55,394 hrs @ 1/6/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who makes the best small engine? « Reply #8 on: September 08, 2023, 08:58:50 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
actually the Japaneese have a difficult time meeting the tight emissions standards when it comes to Diesels, especially here in the USA.  That is why Toyota never released a Diesel engine here. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Who makes the best small engine? « Reply #9 on: October 21, 2023, 04:53:29 AM » Author: Richmond2000
I would say Subaru -> Kohler -> Honda and down the line
a LOT of Honda's the last few years are NOT that good anymore and will say the Thai have dropped the ball some
the few Subbies we have at work have all outlasted the Honda GX motors
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who makes the best small engine? « Reply #10 on: October 21, 2023, 06:50:57 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I've had good experiences with Briggs and great experiences with Honda !   My 12yr old pressure washer has a Honda engine on it and has worked flawlessly from day 1 !!   NOW , Tecumseh , absolute complete P.O.S. !!!!  My old riding mower had a 12 hp OHV Tecumseh TEK 12 engine . High fuel consumption  , oil leaks , idle problems , hard starting , you name it , I dealt with it !! Dumping that stupid thing in the scrap yard was the best thing I ever did !!!!  :curse:

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who makes the best small engine? « Reply #11 on: November 01, 2023, 05:33:56 PM » Author: BT25
Honda...there's no comparison.

Vintage HID collector.

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Who makes the best small engine? « Reply #12 on: November 05, 2023, 03:00:38 PM » Author: Richmond2000
@BT25
try Subaru engines far BETTER then the new Honda's made in Thailand and MANY MILES ahead of the made-in-China "consumer grade Honda's"
the SUBBIES give 1/2 again more running hours before compression is to LOW to get running under load
but yes for "private" use the Honda's are the best out there as Kohler / Subaru are far pricier
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Who makes the best small engine? « Reply #13 on: May 27, 2024, 02:34:26 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
I would say Honda as well. My elderly neighbor has an old Honda string trimmer from 1995 that had been sitting in her garage for over 10 years. When I went to start it up, it still somewhat ran. Replaced the carburetor, and now it works like the day it did from day 1.

Our Toro walk-behind lawn mower has a Tecumseh engine in it.  Never gave us any problems despite that its oil had never been changed in its 15 years until a few months ago.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Who makes the best small engine? « Reply #14 on: May 29, 2024, 03:24:54 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Briggs & Stratton tends to get a lot of flak in the UK, but honestly, they’re not bad engines, yes they can be a little difficult to start, but they just keep running! 😎
We have a Titan self drive mower at work equipped with a Briggs and it does do a few punishing cuts around our grounds, but keep on cutting!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 55,394 hrs @ 1/6/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies