Author Topic: BAT **** crazy British Energy Bill !  (Read 1158 times)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

BAT **** crazy British Energy Bill ! « on: September 06, 2023, 01:11:41 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Well I don’t know how many UK members have been following the net zero energy bill, due for its 3rd reading in the House of Commons, but it could turn truly horrific!

Without trying to be too political, the UK is in a drive to become the world’s leader in zero emission carbon, that all well and good, but some of the clauses in it have the potential to become really dystopian if desired?

During all the ‘lamp ban’ discussions on here we all joked about lamp police knocking on peoples doors and confiscating banned lamps, (all silly conspiracies at the time), well the UK has just moved one step closer in that direction!

Just to be clear here, this IS NOT LAW, IT IS’NT GOING TO BE LAW, but the clauses in the energy bill have the “potential” to create a form of ‘energy police’ in the future that will indeed go
house to house checking on your energy uses?

Anyone found to have an inefficient boiler, or be using incandescent/fluorescent lighting instead of LED, or not have the correct insulation could face 12 months imprisonment and a £15,000 fine!  :poof:

And YES it actually says this!!!, naturally opposition to this green madness is very high within government, but it will be interesting to see where this is all going?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: BAT **** crazy British Energy Bill ! « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 03:16:25 PM » Author: HIDLad001

Anyone found to have an inefficient boiler, or be using incandescent/fluorescent lighting instead of LED, or not have the correct insulation could face 12 months imprisonment and a £15,000 fine!  :poof:

And YES it actually says this!!!, naturally opposition to this green madness is very high within government, but it will be interesting to see where this is all going?

What a world.. The UK will probably end up having more tyrannical energy efficiency laws than the People’s Republic of California!  @-@  :eoled:  :poof:

U.K. Members, this is your queue to move somewhere else. Even the EU has more sensible energy laws!!!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 03:19:07 PM by HIDLad001 » Logged

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: BAT **** crazy British Energy Bill ! « Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 04:01:00 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Yes it’s lunacy, but to reiterate it’s not law, and isn’t going to be, but the potential is there for someone in the future to make it law depending how evil they want to be!
Also part of it is smart meters, and I read about the hell you guys in the US went through with the whole smart meters thing!

In the UK it wasn’t mandatory to have one, but those who held off and have now passed their ‘due date’ could be forced to have one under the same fine and prison threat!

Now hopefully these measures will be quashed?, and yes it would be nice for the UK to be world leaders in net zero, but not at the price of forced draconian measures coming down on peoples shoulders!
However I sadly am not very confident after the hugely unpopular ULEZ charging scheme for drivers in the UK was given its full go ahead without a single complaint from those in power, and is now raking in huge profits from the already poor motorists that can least afford it!

I’ve got to say also, I’ve been on this planet for 51 years now, and have NEVER seen the UK being so destroyed so fast by its own leadership who have absolute and complete contempt for it’s own people!

Interesting and crazy times ahead?   :o

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: BAT **** crazy British Energy Bill ! « Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 06:19:54 PM » Author: Rommie
I've been here for a lot longer than 51 years and this scares the [insert expletive of choice] out of me.

I'll be interested in following the discussion, but with my admin hat on, let's not get too political, ok..?  :police:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: BAT **** crazy British Energy Bill ! « Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 06:21:48 PM » Author: HIDLad001
The reason why smart meters got so much pushback wasn't because they could meter apparent power (kVArh), or that they could monitor and switch your power on and off remotely, it was because of the people with tinfoil hats thought that there was some danger with them occasionally transmitting your usage information. You absorb more radiation from using your cellular phone or microwave oven than being near a smart meter that (in the case here) is on the outside wall.

I have seen stories of people chaining, locking, pulling guns to prevent them from being installed, and even removing the utility's meter and swapping it for their own!  :poof:  :short:

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: BAT **** crazy British Energy Bill ! « Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 06:23:00 PM » Author: suzukir122
Yooo... wait... what? That's actually happening?
I'm the one that brought up the "lamp police" talk originally... and even when I brought it up, I didn't think too seriously about it actually happening.
Is that serious? Sounds like a potential bad idea lurking in the UK then. If they really did do something as stupid as send those people, it's likely
that even the non-lighting enthusiasts would find a way to fight back.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: BAT **** crazy British Energy Bill ! « Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 12:29:46 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Not exactly, but depending on how hard they really wanted to push net zero carbon it ‘ could ‘ happen in the future?
But like I say there is push back already within government so not everyone in power is happy about it?

It’s the trend in the UK though that’s not looking hopeful, as with what’s already been mentioned on LG a few times with LED, from a retail point of view it’s gone from choice to “you will use LED” as we’re not selling anything else! And more recently with the ULEZ scheme, at least 98% of Londoners were against it but they’ve more or less been told, “ tough luck, we’re going ahead with it anyway, deal with it “ !

The ULEZ scheme, as I understand, is already being tested in Birmingham, Oxford and Manchester in the UK, but I’m not clear how far their going with it as yet?, although Birmingham city council have just declared bankruptcy here, so it would be a nice cash cow for them?
I believe Stoke on Trent city council are also on the verge of bankruptcy too?, something I’ve certainly never seen in my lifetime!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 12:45:49 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Welcome to OBLIVION

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: BAT **** crazy British Energy Bill ! « Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 12:38:57 AM » Author: AngryHorse
The reason why smart meters got so much pushback wasn't because they could meter apparent power (kVArh), or that they could monitor and switch your power on and off remotely, it was because of the people with tinfoil hats thought that there was some danger with them occasionally transmitting your usage information. You absorb more radiation from using your cellular phone or microwave oven than being near a smart meter that (in the case here) is on the outside wall.

I have seen stories of people chaining, locking, pulling guns to prevent them from being installed, and even removing the utility's meter and swapping it for their own!  :poof:  :short:
With the smart meters thing, this would be the perfect scenario for any governments net zero goals?, make every household have one, then you have 100% control over peoples lives, if they deem your using just a little bit too much gas or electric, you can remotely pull the plug saying, “ Sorry Mr and Mrs Blogs, but you’ve exceeded your carbon quota for today “ !  :police:

Welcome to OBLIVION

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: BAT **** crazy British Energy Bill ! « Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 12:41:46 AM » Author: suzukir122
Hopefully things get better, and they don't do anything stupid. I've always wanted to visit the UK, for the longest time. Not just to experience
the different culture/lifestyles and food, but also to experience the different lighting... 50/100 hertz hum... Preheat, Semi Resonant Start and all
other types of fluorescent fixtures there, the UK's version of HPS, Metal Halide, and Mercury Vapor lighting, SOX fixtures... etc. I still have yet
to experience all of that. Just seeing LED's everywhere there would be... just... boring.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: BAT **** crazy British Energy Bill ! « Reply #9 on: September 07, 2023, 07:52:35 AM » Author: rjluna2
I would like to put two pence worth of my thought here.  If this goes the way they wanted to go with their energy saving method, it would become like this:

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: BAT **** crazy British Energy Bill ! « Reply #10 on: September 07, 2023, 08:17:14 AM » Author: Rommie
With the smart meters thing, this would be the perfect scenario for any governments net zero goals?, make every household have one, then you have 100% control over peoples lives, if they deem your using just a little bit too much gas or electric, you can remotely pull the plug saying, “ Sorry Mr and Mrs Blogs, but you’ve exceeded your carbon quota for today “ !  :police:
Ok people, this is getting just a little too political. Let's leave it here, shall we..?

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: BAT **** crazy British Energy Bill ! « Reply #11 on: September 07, 2023, 10:31:07 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Cool 8)
Just to add a point to Rob’s post though, funny enough, I noticed in Stafford last week, a stretch of road with newly installed Thorn Isaro Pro LED lanterns, then a sign by the side of the road saying ‘Street lighting not in use’!  :lol:

Are we now deeming LED to be using too much energy?  :wndr:

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: BAT **** crazy British Energy Bill ! « Reply #12 on: September 07, 2023, 11:28:00 AM » Author: Rommie
Wouldn't be surprised  ::)

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: BAT **** crazy British Energy Bill ! « Reply #13 on: September 10, 2023, 10:54:35 AM » Author: Rommie
For what it's worth, Eric, I agree with you. But this isn't really the place to discuss it, there are other sites more suited.

Locking the topic now.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies