Author Topic: NYC Low Pressure Sodium Bridge  (Read 634 times)
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

NYC Low Pressure Sodium Bridge « on: September 26, 2023, 04:44:49 AM » Author: Econolite03
Some time ago I came across a old video uploaded to YouTube that was mentioned on L-G several years ago, but seems to have been long lost / forgotten. The video shows someone driving across the Triborough Bridge (now the RFK bridge) in New York, NY featuring a extensive installation of SOX luminaires in the 1980s. The Triborough is made up of various segments that link the boroughs of Manhattan, Queens, and Bronx. The fixtures are Norelco(Philips) SRPs and appear to be either 135 or 180W with some of the fixtures lit. In addition, I was able to find pictures of the same fixtures in their final days dayburning before being replaced by Lumec Helios fixtures. Low Pressure Sodium saw some use on other bridges in the US, allegedly due to its ability to cut through bad weather such as fog and enhance visibility for motorists (feel free to correct me). I figured I'd share as I find it interesting.

Link to Pictures:
See Here

Link to Video (fixtures appear at 3:44 timestamp):
See Here

Now on Linktree

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies