Author Topic: Smart outdoor lighting  (Read 2347 times)
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #15 on: November 08, 2023, 04:38:02 PM » Author: Michael
There is a simple way to find out the difference of energy consumption between the old tech with HPS and new LED tech with dimming and occupancy detectors. In the village where I live I replaced this summer all old HPS street lights with modern SiTECO SL21 fixtures with e-sage modules. What I need is the electricity bill for the street lighting of that stretch from a period before replacement of lanterns and a bill from after…
For it would be the best to wait till next summer then I have an annual period for comparison.
If you are interested for this kind of data I can provide it to you?  ;)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #16 on: November 08, 2023, 06:59:52 PM » Author: joseph_125
Individual photocontrollers fitted to the top of each luminaire was common here so most of the smart controls used the same twistlock receptacle. Some utilized the extra LED specific contacts to allow for dimming but most here only switch on and off.

Interestingly because the smart controls share the same receptacle as the older photocontrols, you can install them onto older HID luminaires. I know one municipality fitted them to their old HPS and MV luminaires in addition to the LEDs.
Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #17 on: November 09, 2023, 03:27:18 AM » Author: Richmond2000
15 years ago they built a state of the art grocery store near my house and all the fridges and freezer units had motion detectors for there lighting it was "unique" at first to walk down an isle and have the lights turning on10 feet in front of you
and some walmarts have "smart" in store lighting that will dim departments if NO shoppers are in that portion of the store I would say %50 when no shoppers they turn up far enough ahead of you that you dont "notice" unless you are LOOKING at the lighting
Make

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #18 on: November 09, 2023, 02:38:14 PM » Author: Make
But is dimming profitable when the purchase price of the equipment is taken into account?  Their service life can also be doubted. Simply changing the LED retrofit lamp is significantly cheaper and make much energy savings too.
Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #19 on: November 11, 2023, 04:51:50 AM » Author: Richmond2000
good question I assume "smart controls" dont pay for themselves in power savings much and changing to LED would accomplish more as any SMART system will consume power even when lights are NOT burning
I would imagine photocells / lanterns that self dim after a period of time and / OR less sensitive photocells would have the same or MORE power savings but a LOT of the "sales press" is about reduced truck rolls and better "visibility" and IMHO the MILLIONS it costs to stand up such a system covers a LOT of "truck rolls"
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #20 on: January 03, 2024, 09:26:05 PM » Author: lights*plus
266 street lights for a village??  Which village and country is this?

A couple of weeks ago I installed 266 new LED street lights with occupancy detectors in a entire village. They all have detectors connected via so called ZHAGA interface. The system is made by https://www.esaveag.com/
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #21 on: January 04, 2024, 03:30:58 AM » Author: Michael
The village is called Lommiswil in Switzerland. Quite a big village.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies