Author Topic: Smart outdoor lighting  (Read 2348 times)
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Smart outdoor lighting « on: October 21, 2023, 03:19:54 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Different sort of smart lights have been really popular in peoples home among other smart stuff in recent years. Back when LED was just starting to make it's way to street and area lighting there was lots of articles about possibilities of how LED lights could be used to save energy and give better user experience with all sorts of smart controlling. Does anyone know any place where any sort of smart control is used at large scale in outdoor public lighting? I would love to hear what sort of implementations there is.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 01:40:02 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I’m not sure if this is the same thing you’re talking about but our town went through the ‘node’ era when we started to replace SOX for HPS.
The node was a type of smart photocell that could ‘talk’ to the street lighting department, telling engineers when individual lights had gone out, or needed new lamps, and dimming could be programmed through nodes, not that our town ever used dimming that I know of?

Unfortunately it didn’t work out too well!, vast swathes of lanterns would go out at a time, and either engineers didn’t receive the message or were not too bothered about fixing the issue right away!  ::)
But as soon as the LED revolution started the nodes were scrapped, and regular photocells were re-installed.
I’ve never seen another node system on ANY of our street lighting since?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 05:00:56 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 01:43:32 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
That fits well under what I meant when done with modern LED luminaires. So what I'm interested to know is that if there is any real life implementation of LED street lights where dimming or other directly to fixture control other than PC is used. Possibility for easy remote controlling of LED fixture was widely advertized at one point but is it actually used anywhere?

Over here in suburban areas they turn off every other street light after 23:00 and that's what was done even before LED fixtures. While that saves energy it also creates quite long dark spot between lights. With remote controlled LED lights that supports dimmming one could reduce lighting level overally while making the are more evenly lit.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 03:31:01 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Around the US it's not uncommon to have entire municipal conversions to LED lights with special photocontrols atop them. They are managed by a website and can be remotely dimmed, scheduled, or turned off. Around me in New England they are quite common with multiple different types.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #4 on: October 22, 2023, 05:11:02 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I’m not aware of any LED street lighting that are dimmed down in the small hours of the morning near me, but oddly enough, (and slightly off topic), nearly all of our supermarkets have the LED lighting system dimmed as it goes dark!
One of our main ones, ASDA here use this feature the most, and in our biggest ASDA store it’s pretty eerie when your in there and the WHOLE store lighting dims down!, you hear all the shoppers go quiet for a second as it happens!  @-@

It’s quite a surreal experience!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #5 on: October 23, 2023, 12:32:58 AM » Author: Richmond2000
Manitoba hydro during there pilot test of LED I believe had auto dimming NON CONNECTED photocells on there TEST LED fixtures that would dim on a count down timer
Hydro did NOT continue with that tech once the LED roll out began in Ernest and use a remote bank switch and on fixture photo cells
and has a BAD dayburn issue with 5% dayburn by my estimates and 2% inop including stretches that have had LED conversion done to "fix" the issue and the LEDs are day burning / inop like there HPS predecessors

Make

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #6 on: November 04, 2023, 02:04:15 PM » Author: Make
In Finland, now this district of Vantaa city has Schreder Izylum LED lanterns: https://www.google.fi/maps/@60.357894,25.0894523,3a,75y,55.38h,94.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAXMLlPfIVI4AI8_kuFIAsg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=fi&entry=ttu
They have some kind of dimming, which obviously doesn't work properly. In the mornings, they often just glow very dim. You could just as well turn off the lights completely. Otherwise, the light output seems to be anything. Maybe they have that: https://www.schreder.com/en/schreder-exedra-smart-lighting-cms
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #7 on: November 06, 2023, 11:54:49 AM » Author: Michael
In 2015 we did a trial with radar controlled lights. Lantern is Philips Luma 1 and the controller units are Comlight Eagle Eye 2.0.

Since 2020 we use the smart city grid from Signify called InterAct City It does work very well.

Here our partner: https://www.elektron.ch/en/public-lighting
Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #8 on: November 06, 2023, 12:40:20 PM » Author: Richmond2000
in the UK Phillips sold "lumistep" ballast for for CPO lighting that would auto dim after 6 hours not "smart" but should be 100% reliable
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #9 on: November 06, 2023, 12:50:28 PM » Author: Michael
Not only that! From the beginning of the 2000s Philips also sold the Chronosense modules which one could connect it to a dual wattage SON or MV ballast and it could dim down the lamp autonomically whatever the user programed the module via dip switches.

Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #10 on: November 07, 2023, 07:36:23 PM » Author: Lcubed3
Not large scale, but there's a church parking lot near me that dims the parking lot lights (LED) with an occupancy detector.

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 11:38:24 PM » Author: Michael
A couple of weeks ago I installed 266 new LED street lights with occupancy detectors in a entire village. They all have detectors connected via so called ZHAGA interface. The system is made by https://www.esaveag.com/
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #12 on: November 08, 2023, 11:23:05 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
How the system operates with occupancy detector? Is there some base level of light which is increased if someone is detected?

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #13 on: November 08, 2023, 12:49:08 PM » Author: Michael
Yes indeed. In repose period the light is low at 10% for example. If a car or pedestrian gets detected by the sensor then the light level will be increased to the set level. Also that first detector sends a signal to the next and over next sensor and the light will be increased slowly along the way the traveller moves.

All LED street lights on principal roads which are owned by the canton Bern are controlled by occupancy detector. They started with that system already in 2016. The lantern whoch has these sensors integrated is here: http://phozagora.free.fr/?page=Lanterne_Aselightstreet120
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Smart outdoor lighting « Reply #14 on: November 08, 2023, 01:33:26 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
That sounds really neat. I wonder how much it affected to the power usage of whole system and what sort of user experience people have had.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies