Author Topic: Stuck starter causes catastrophic preheat fluorescent tube ballast failure  (Read 691 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Stuck starter causes catastrophic preheat fluorescent tube ballast failure « on: October 26, 2023, 03:11:13 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
This is why you should never ever ignore EOL fluorescent tubes and stuck starters in preheat fluorescent tube fixtures:

https://youtu.be/fR4kgrV1XVs?si=RSJEGkDCbEEo2-Ik
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 03:14:34 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Stuck starter causes catastrophic preheat fluorescent tube ballast failure « Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 06:08:50 PM » Author: RRK
Well, back in 1970's-1980's, when manufacturers not yet started to extremely save on copper and even iron, it was an usual sight to see EOL tubes with stuck starters for months and nothing really bad happened, so no one bothered... An installation might have roughly half of the tubes with glowing ends, the only problem was of course dropping light level. A burned-out choke was in fact an extraordinary find.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Stuck starter causes catastrophic preheat fluorescent tube ballast failure « Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 07:20:42 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
In one of the comments, I see that one of our LG members said that the ballast that failed likely had aluminum windings inside it. If that was the case, I wonder how series choke ballasts were more prone to failure if they had aluminum windings compared to choke ballasts with copper windings.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Stuck starter causes catastrophic preheat fluorescent tube ballast failure « Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 07:32:35 PM » Author: RRK
Over the years, manufacturing standards slipped to allowing higher ballast losses leading for cheaper units. This probably is not justified in energy costs in a long run, but helps winning a purchasing price.

Aluminium wire sure has much higher resistance, but is much cheaper than copper. Higher resistance is partially compensated with slightly larger wire diameter (material is still MUCH cheaper, but there is a limit for coil space on the core) and running at higher temperature by using higher thermal class insulation. Running at higher temperature definitely leaves smaller gap between normal operation and catastrophical failure from overheating and destructed insulation. And this is already compromised by selecting a smaller physical size...

« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 07:38:09 PM by RRK » Logged
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Stuck starter causes catastrophic preheat fluorescent tube ballast failure « Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 09:16:48 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Aluminum also expands from heat I believe, so that makes the situation of the crowded ballast core even worse.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Stuck starter causes catastrophic preheat fluorescent tube ballast failure « Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 10:54:20 PM » Author: joseph_125
I'm guessing these ballasts didn't have any thermal protection either. Thermal protection has been pretty much standard on most magnetic ballasts here for decades, although since auto resetting thermal protectors are used here, lazy people tend to let the ballast cycle on and off until the thermal protector welds closed rendering it useless. ::)

Interestingly, some of the older ballasts from the 60s here had "one shot" thermal protectors. They weren't resetting so if the thermal protection blows, you have to replace the entire ballast assembly.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Stuck starter causes catastrophic preheat fluorescent tube ballast failure « Reply #6 on: October 26, 2023, 11:41:24 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
As far as I know, North American preheat fluorescent tube ballasts from the 1940s and 50s would be very prone to failure from stuck starters due to the lack of thermal protection.

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Stuck starter causes catastrophic preheat fluorescent tube ballast failure « Reply #7 on: October 27, 2023, 12:57:32 AM » Author: RRK
Can not say about American or European ballasts, but Soviet chokes of 1950s-1980s were rather resilient to stuck starters even without thermal cutoff, which was never used AFAIK. Fireworks definitely started with 'optimized' Chinese designs of late years.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies