Author Topic: Strange ballast replacement situation in Japanese 2 lamp FL40S preheat fixture  (Read 452 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Strange ballast replacement situation in Japanese 2 lamp FL40S preheat fixture « on: October 28, 2023, 01:58:52 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
While browsing on the web for some information about Japanese magnetic fluorescent ballasts, I found this interesting article where a new electronic ballast was added  into a Japanese 2 lamp FL40S preheat fluorescent tube fixture while the original preheat ballasts were left in the fixture as they failed.

Here is the translated article description:

When I checked the fluorescent light at the factory, it was found to have been modified.
This is a request from a customer.

``There are some things where the fluorescent lights won't turn on.

I tried changing the fluorescent tubes and starters, but to no avail.

Check if the electricity is working and if the appliance is not working

Please give me a quote for replacement.”

“With pleasure!”

If you ask me, it seems like it's easily over 20 years.

There are rows of vintage fluorescent lights.

I tried checking the wiring with a voltage detector, but the reaction was strange.

When you open the lid of the light fixture...you'll see that it has been modified! .

The cream-colored circles are the original ballasts.

2 units for 40w lamps.

The wiring has been disconnected and left in place.

The red arrow is the new ballast.

One ballast for two 40w lights.

Naturally, the starter socket has also been disconnected.

The ballast has been replaced and the power supply voltage is different, so the switch and panel

It has probably been modified from the original.

(Pink arrow, new ballast is 200v specification)

In other words,

Voltage: 100V => 200V

Lighting method: Preheat type => Inverter type

Fluorescent tube: FL > lamp free (FL or HF)

If I used an HF tube, the bulbs would have a longer lifespan and I would have had less time to replace them.

It seems that the bulb of the FL tube was replaced regularly.

Even though the lighting tube wiring is disconnected inside the fixture.

It's really a shame that the starter was also replaced with a new one.

I explained it to the customer while showing the photo.

"Well, all the work I've done so far has been a waste of time."

He looked up to the sky.

We will send you a quote for replacement the next day.

It was a fairly large factory, so it would be better to know the story of when it was remodeled.

If the person in charge is no longer available due to retirement or staff reduction,

I imagine that the handover may have been insufficient.

(This story was also requested by the regional maintenance supervisor of an affiliated factory.)

My impression is that there are more companies where people hold concurrent positions.

Due to the declining birthrate, aging population, and reduction in personnel, "information that cannot be passed on" like this one is increasing.

I think it's going to increase everywhere.

Thank you for your request.

Here is the link to the article if you are interested:

https://www.hara-den.jp/archives/8142

Have any of our electrician members experienced something similar to what this Japanese electrician experienced while changing fluorescent tubes in the field like seeing a new ballast installed in a fixture that still has old disconnected ballasts remaining inside the fixture?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 02:01:00 AM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Make

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Strange ballast replacement situation in Japanese 2 lamp FL40S preheat fixture « Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 02:16:28 PM » Author: Make
I have seen once.

Apparently the electronic ballast in the article was manufactured in 1997, week 8.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies