Author Topic: Abandoned US Buildings with preheat F40T12 fluorescent tube fixtures  (Read 799 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Abandoned US Buildings with preheat F40T12 fluorescent tube fixtures « on: November 05, 2023, 03:09:27 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
While looking for some videos of some abandoned buildings that are located in the USA that contain F40T12 preheat fluorescent tube fixtures, I found the following videos:

Mental hospital with power:

https://youtu.be/sCssyRYfYw8?si=COlH2OOMfO-Ny-Ai

Starters can be heard at timestamp 3:58!!

1920s department store:

https://youtu.be/R5dP-vvR0CY?si=_SwdN5JeS_AC5Dma

4 lamp F40 halfpiper and another 4 lamp F40 preheater with visible starters seen at timestamp 13:35!!! Halfpiper fixtures and other preheaters can be seen throughout the video as well!!! In addition, you can also find many incandescent schoolhouse pendant fixtures as well that also appear to be original to the building.

1920s hotel:

https://youtu.be/E6PuWZxW2dg?si=IdGmRO0W1AUaa0K7

Halfpipers seen in timestamps 7:48 and 11:49!!!

Abandoned drug store:

https://youtu.be/nkyUYIR5OA4?si=oZhDrMpDx-8wK9QP

Halfpipers seen in timestamps 5:45 and 6:57!!!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 04:44:03 AM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Abandoned US Buildings with preheat F40T12 fluorescent tube fixtures « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 11:29:33 AM » Author: suzukir122
Even though the results will be different depending on just how damaged the fixtures are, I'm not at all surprised that those fluorescent fixtures,
whether Preheat or Rapid Start, worked... in that Mental Hospital link.
Windows 98 computer as well. That is really awesome.
I'm watching the other videos you posted a link to as well, but have only watched the Mental Hospital one as of this comment. I wonder when that hospital
became abandoned? I'm guessing back in 1998?? I also wonder if that hospital still has power 4 years later lol

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Abandoned US Buildings with preheat F40T12 fluorescent tube fixtures « Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 05:07:10 PM » Author: High Intensity
This thread reminded me of this video, where at 7:49, you can start to see a 4-lamp F40T12 preheat shoplight in the background, and at 8:28, you can see the fixture in much better detail, showing that the fixture has 4 Philips Alto tubes in it, and a few seconds after that, what appears to be a 2-lamp F40T12 preheat shoplight can be seen, and from around that point until about the 13 minutes into the vid, various what appears to be preheat (or early RS) shop and striplights can be seen, as well as some more modern fixtures. At about 17:25, a WWII era preheat shoplight can be seen, the same fixture can be seen again at 17:52. At 18:46, a 2-lamp F40T12 preheat striplight can be seen with one tube missing (you can just barely make out the starters under the sockets). Various other interesting lights can be seen throughout the video, so it's one of those videos where you want to keep your eyes peeled. But from the looks of it, the building likely used to have more of those fixtures, but most were replaced with 1 to 2 lamp F96T12 striplights.

Sadly though, all of the above mentioned fixtures are long gone, as the building was demolished.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Abandoned US Buildings with preheat F40T12 fluorescent tube fixtures « Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 01:39:41 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I just found this video of an abandoned 1904 21 story skyscraper in Dayton, OH that has numerous 4 lamp F40T12 preheat fluorescent tube halfpiper fixtures mounted on stems:

https://youtu.be/reT1NHxQEhs?si=2d-rFwjR4u3X8ghP

There are lots of portions that have drop ceilings and 2 by 4 troffers, which means that some portions of the building were abandoned earlier before the rest of the building was abandoned.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 01:46:26 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Abandoned US Buildings with preheat F40T12 fluorescent tube fixtures « Reply #4 on: November 28, 2023, 11:12:06 PM » Author: Patrick
Now you've got hooked on these urbex videos.  A good one to check out is the Southwark Generating Station.  There are several sets of unique fluorescent fixtures in the plant.  I believe they are all cold cathode.  Here in an office are some rectangular fixtures with bare tubes between them (no channel).  Next in the boiler control room are troffers, but they're anything but ordinary.  Finally in the main control room, 4x CCFL tubes with a half-pipe assembly below the lamps.  It's a curious configuration with diffuser panels on side.   

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies