Author Topic: Moonlight towers  (Read 1785 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #15 on: November 28, 2023, 10:49:56 AM » Author: Rommie
Ok, so who's responsible if I break my leg tripping on the step that now has no illumination..? I could carry a torch, in fact there's one in my bag most of the time, but if you're on the way back from the pub, you don't always think of these things, and in any case, street lighting is supposed to light the streets, not just a small pool at the bottom of the lamp post.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 10:52:29 AM by Rommie » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #16 on: November 28, 2023, 11:44:31 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Did you ever write a letter to Aberdeen council?, point out more powerful  fittings are needed around the tower block?, or even some on the building depending who owns it?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #17 on: November 28, 2023, 12:03:28 PM » Author: Rommie
Not in writing, maybe we should. Oh it's not a tower block, just a 3-storey one.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #18 on: November 28, 2023, 01:26:31 PM » Author: HIDLad001
More things to consider when designing my lighting system are brightness and “reach” of the light.
But what is everyone’s opinion on narrowband (monochromatic) amber (1800K) LEDs for street lighting?

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #19 on: November 28, 2023, 02:12:33 PM » Author: Burrito
@HIDLad001

Those could work but you can also try and find PCA (Phosphor-Converted Amber) LED diodes

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #20 on: November 28, 2023, 02:24:11 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Those usually have much better CRI, but the CCT is a bit higher like a high pressure sodium lamp. I prefer the 1800K SOX lamp color.

Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #21 on: November 28, 2023, 03:13:50 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Not in writing, maybe we should. Oh it's not a tower block, just a 3-storey one.
Ah got ya  ;), could you offer to have your own lighting installed on the grounds that you maintain it?

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #22 on: November 28, 2023, 03:21:24 PM » Author: Rommie
Don't know, I suppose we could ask. As long as it doesn't come off our leccy meter  :mrg:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #23 on: November 28, 2023, 03:27:51 PM » Author: AngryHorse
More things to consider when designing my lighting system are brightness and “reach” of the light.
But what is everyone’s opinion on narrowband (monochromatic) amber (1800K) LEDs for street lighting?
Interesting about monochrome LED, I really don’t have a valid answer to this  :), SOX was monochrome because of what it was, I’m on the fence though as to why this would be needed to be recreated using LED? There’s only been colours in street lighting because of the lighting tech used through the years?
What would the ideal CCT be for street lighting?, visual acuity can be achieved best by colours from the total opposite ends of the spectrum, i.e, 1800K and 6500K, however YouTube channel Technology Connections pointed out that sodium lighting wasn’t actually an ideal choice at all!

I supposed we’d all have our own conclusions on here, but lower levels of lighting would be a start than super bright?

Welcome to OBLIVION

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #24 on: November 28, 2023, 03:40:59 PM » Author: HIDLad001
It would be more to protect wildlife and the night sky, because that’s what SOX lamps were most used for in the US.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #25 on: November 28, 2023, 03:43:48 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Whereas here they were just an efficient answer to the 70s energy crisis!  :D

Welcome to OBLIVION

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #26 on: November 28, 2023, 04:01:18 PM » Author: HIDLad001
If they were used for wildlife protection and dark sky use in the UK, narrowband amber LED replacements would probably be widespread.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #27 on: November 28, 2023, 04:01:43 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I guess it’s also a personal preference?, everyone is different, as Ria has said, Sammi suffers from night blindness, so LED and white light don’t work in that situation?
Me personally, I noticed something cycling home from work tonight, street lighting here has now become obsessed with very heigh columns with powerful lights on!, going back to our SOX days in our town we used to have just 5 metres concrete columns carrying 35 watt SOX, (lower lighting levels on lower columns), even on the A roads! and as I remember them it was enough for street lighting.

Now on these same routes, we have 8/10 meter columns carrying brighter lanterns as if mounting powerful lights higher up somehow illuminates the roads better!

Welcome to OBLIVION

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #28 on: November 28, 2023, 04:08:19 PM » Author: HIDLad001
That’s how it is in the US. We have bright lights on very high utility poles with long arms. I have only seen a minimum of 50w LED installed around here, and that might be why I like it.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #29 on: November 28, 2023, 04:12:40 PM » Author: Rommie
Interesting about monochrome LED, I really don’t have a valid answer to this  :), SOX was monochrome because of what it was, I’m on the fence though as to why this would be needed to be recreated using LED? There’s only been colours in street lighting because of the lighting tech used through the years?
White light of the CCT that most LEDs put out is very disruptive to wildlife. Also, the fact that SOX is monochrome means that contrast is excellent, so you see movement more easily. Colour temperature for street lighting shouldn't be an issue for drivers, you have excellent CCT from your headlights.

I supposed we’d all have our own conclusions on here, but lower levels of lighting would be a start than super bright?
You want low levels of lighting..? Come to our street, what have I been saying..?

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies