Author Topic: Engineering question regarding SOX/Neon lamps  (Read 400 times)
Dark_Photonics

View Posts
View Gallery

Engineering question regarding SOX/Neon lamps « on: December 01, 2023, 07:02:35 AM » Author: Dark_Photonics
Hello, I have recently been enjoying my first SOX and have a question for some of the engineers on the website.

As we are aware there is Neon and Argon in SOX lamps, visible at the startup of the lamp before the sodium vapourises.
As many are also aware, there have been high power hot cathode neon lamps in the past (see for example http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Spec%20Sheets/D%20G%20Ne%20GEC%20NE400.htm)

My question is simply: Could you create a neon floodlighting bulb by just making a standard SOX bulb with no sodium in it? And how good or bad would this be compare to the actual cathode heated neon lamps?
It would be cool to just have some chinese SOX manufacturer make this if its feasible.  :lps:
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Engineering question regarding SOX/Neon lamps « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 09:41:47 AM » Author: Rommie
Those high power hot cathode neon lamps are awesome, we were lucky enough to get one a few months ago, see here  :nsign:  8)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Engineering question regarding SOX/Neon lamps « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 01:46:53 PM » Author: RRK
My question is simply: Could you create a neon floodlighting bulb by just making a standard SOX bulb with no sodium in it? And how good or bad would this be compare to the actual cathode heated neon lamps?
It would be cool to just have some chinese SOX manufacturer make this if its feasible.  :lps:

Yes. You likely have to increase neon pressure significantly to avoid cathode sputtering and do not evacuate the outer bulb to avoid discharge tube to overheat. You will get a fun looking red lamp with kinda unpredictable lifetime. Also you may not get an optimum efficacy in red light because the relation between current density, gas pressure, tube diameter and light output is tricky.

If you want to play with custom made gas discharge lamps, cold cathode is a way to go. The technology is robust enough to make working lamps at home if you sink enough money into the equipment, and parts like glass tubes and electrodes (even large 90+ mA ones) are fortunately still available for purchase. Or you can just hire a neon glassblower to make just whatever tube you want ;) Much fun and not at all expensive.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 01:49:04 PM by RRK » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies