Author Topic: Plusrite Metal Halide  (Read 357 times)
MikeT1982

View Posts
View Gallery

Plusrite Metal Halide « on: December 14, 2023, 03:30:15 AM » Author: MikeT1982
Hey guys, I have a quick question. This is for a friend who keeps saltwater tanks. With HQI double ended metal halides by top notch manufacturers like Ushio being discontinued, there are alot of generics floating on eBay. The equivalent may cost say $12 vs $50 for a 14K bulb say. Well Plusrite seems to have been around for a long time and for a similar cheap price. So I was wondering if they are a "more reliable upscale" entry level "non-big brand" type of company vs generic. That's what i'm hoping, that they are like the Amazon Basics (good quality and sometimes better) version of the Ushios not total fly by night crap.

Thanks! -Mike
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Plusrite Metal Halide « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 02:29:30 PM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
From what I have heard, Plusrite is pretty bad. But I'm not an expert.
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Plusrite Metal Halide « Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 12:05:12 AM » Author: Maxim
I consider Plusrite to be the[/b] cheap, low quality Chinese manufacturer. Lol. Don't expect any lamps from them to meet, let alone exceed their rated service life.

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Plusrite Metal Halide « Reply #3 on: December 23, 2023, 03:54:23 AM » Author: RRK
Hey guys, I have a quick question. This is for a friend who keeps saltwater tanks. With HQI double ended metal halides by top notch manufacturers like Ushio being discontinued, there are alot of generics floating on eBay. The equivalent may cost say $12 vs $50 for a 14K bulb say. Well Plusrite seems to have been around for a long time and for a similar cheap price. So I was wondering if they are a "more reliable upscale" entry level "non-big brand" type of company vs generic. That's what i'm hoping, that they are like the Amazon Basics (good quality and sometimes better) version of the Ushios not total fly by night crap.

Thanks! -Mike

With Chinese lamps you have a lottery. Some are made surprisingly well, and some will get sputtered in just 100 hours. No way around it, even different quality lamps from different eastern factories may appear under the same brand. No more BLV/Ushio/Iwasaki etc, no more predictable quality :(
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies