Author Topic: Just wondering: did halophosphate CFLs ever exist?  (Read 929 times)
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Just wondering: did halophosphate CFLs ever exist? « on: December 26, 2023, 07:13:29 AM » Author: Laurens
Just like in the thread title: do/did CFLs with halophosphate phosphor exist?

So far, all the CFLs i have appear to be conventional triphosphor ones. Even my oldest ones (those Philips SL 'jam jars' with magnetic ballast) are triphosphor.
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Just wondering: did halophosphate CFLs ever exist? « Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 11:36:27 AM » Author: RRK
Yes I had a couple of such lamps. In the classic 3U form. Were sourced from one of the the cheapest local importer. Nothing really good. The color was kinda pinkish with bad apparent CRI, light output was low. I used one of them briefly in my bathroom. Halophosphate is a poor choice for CFLs as energy loading is high, so phosphor life is expected to be short.

I have confirmed these were really halophosphate coated by looking at the spectrum.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 11:39:32 AM by RRK » Logged
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Just wondering: did halophosphate CFLs ever exist? « Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 03:11:02 PM » Author: Laurens
Ah, interesting, thanks!

Stupid me left my little battery operated tesla coil at work - i'm gonna browse the thrift store's bins of old lamps to see if i can track one down. I can't (aren't allowed to) test stuff in the store on mains, but the tesla coil will make them glow so i can look at the spectrum.
Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Just wondering: did halophosphate CFLs ever exist? « Reply #3 on: December 26, 2023, 04:01:23 PM » Author: Maxim
I currently have two halophosphate CFLs in my collection. Nothing special either; a Westinghouse from 2002 and a no-name Chinese import.

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Just wondering: did halophosphate CFLs ever exist? « Reply #4 on: December 26, 2023, 04:02:08 PM » Author: Maxim
Also, welcome to the Lighting Gallery!

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

Re: Just wondering: did halophosphate CFLs ever exist? « Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 09:35:25 PM » Author: Lcubed3
I believe I have a halophosphate WW CFL. it has a yellowish, low-CRI look to it. It is 44 watts, and was made by TCP and is marked "Good Lamp".

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Just wondering: did halophosphate CFLs ever exist? « Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 11:11:56 AM » Author: Laurens
Neat. I like the weird, bargain basement stuff out of curiosity. Definitely will rig something up so i can distinguish between the phosphor types without needing mains.
I bought a brand new 8w fluorescent in color 33/640 which was supposed to be halophosphate cool white - brand new from Osram, stamped 640, datasheet shows the proper spectrogram. I get home - very obviously a triphosphor coating, despite the etching declaring the low CRI!
Oh well. It doesn't surprise me considering high CRI 840 tubes are more common, why keep making the 640 ones...

And thanks for the welcomes :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 11:16:03 AM by Laurens » Logged
marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Just wondering: did halophosphate CFLs ever exist? « Reply #7 on: December 31, 2023, 02:05:12 PM » Author: marcopete87
I Remember about some no name cheap cfl in late 2005 which were 5000°K and glowed for some minutes After shut down.
As far as i can Remember, they were horrible in color rendering (really, they were much worse than you think and all lasted only some hundred hours), so may i suppose they were halophosphate?
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Just wondering: did halophosphate CFLs ever exist? « Reply #8 on: December 31, 2023, 02:13:25 PM » Author: Laurens
I've had good quality Philips and Osram CFLs with the afterglow too. I doubt that's the qualifier for figuring out if it's halophosphate or not.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Just wondering: did halophosphate CFLs ever exist? « Reply #9 on: December 31, 2023, 06:04:39 PM » Author: joseph_125
I wouldn't be surprised if some cheap no name self ballasted CFLs were halophosphate or if some cheap PL style CFLs were also halophosphate. I think even the 4ft T8 lamps, which were typically triphosphor, had a brief period where halophosphate ones were made as the entry level lamp when the costs of triphosphors went up.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Just wondering: did halophosphate CFLs ever exist? « Reply #10 on: January 01, 2024, 12:49:05 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Here is a North American market Yorkville preheat CFL lamp that is halophosphate cool white:

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=4&pid=190520

In addition, there were also the FUL lamps, which are non-integrated CFL lamps requiring external ballasts, which are often halophosphate and were popular in North America and Japan. However, most FUL lamps produced today are BL lamps commonly used in insect killer fixtures.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 12:51:27 AM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Just wondering: did halophosphate CFLs ever exist? « Reply #11 on: January 01, 2024, 03:59:45 AM » Author: suzukir122
I've owned a Halophosphate CFL as well, when I was a little kid. I forget the wattage, but I'm pretty sure I remembered it being 15 watts.
It was a screw-in self ballasted CFL... the triple U-tube style. It was one of those cheap CFL's from a store that didn't last long in St.louis Missouri,
called "Factory 2-U." The manufacture brand for the CFL was "Factory 2-U" as well, so it wasn't a no name type of situation there. I do remember the CFL
print said that it was made in China, and the plastic base seemed REALLY cheaply made. Instant Start electronic ballasted.
It was very obvious that it was not only WW Halophosphate, but also very much under-driven. Most colors seemed dull with it, and I was at that age where
I was able to distinguish the differences between Halo and Tri, so I was immediately able to determine it was Halo. I was able to confirm it simply by
switching off and on the lamp while flipping my eyes up and down. While doing this, I saw the immediate afterglow was orange/yellow. In *most* cases, the
immediate afterglow will appear orange/yellow if the phosphor is Halo. 
That was the only Halophosphate CFL I've ever seen outside of Lighting Gallery. I can't help but wonder if there's such thing as PL-L lamps that are Halo.
I'm also interested to know where I can find that CFL that Silverliner owns.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Just wondering: did halophosphate CFLs ever exist? « Reply #12 on: January 01, 2024, 02:11:02 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Neat. I like the weird, bargain basement stuff out of curiosity. Definitely will rig something up so i can distinguish between the phosphor types without needing mains.
I bought a brand new 8w fluorescent in color 33/640 which was supposed to be halophosphate cool white - brand new from Osram, stamped 640, datasheet shows the proper spectrogram. I get home - very obviously a triphosphor coating, despite the etching declaring the low CRI!
Oh well. It doesn't surprise me considering high CRI 840 tubes are more common, why keep making the 640 ones...

And thanks for the welcomes :)

I also have some FUL lamps that are triphosphor despite being halophosphate according to the etch.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Just wondering: did halophosphate CFLs ever exist? « Reply #13 on: January 01, 2024, 02:16:39 PM » Author: Laurens
So far, i've seen no PL lamps that aren't either 827 or 840. But in a week, i'll be able to grab my little tesla coil and test the bins of bulbs at the thrift shops. They typically don't want you to screw the bulbs into a random lamp of theirs and then go start testing everything.

I did do a couple but since the bins contain a couple dozen, it'll take a while. So far no luck. Luxury problems - plenty of better 827 ones to be had.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 05:20:45 PM by Laurens » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies