Author Topic: What's the reply to "buy led instead" ?  (Read 458 times)
LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

What's the reply to "buy led instead" ? « on: December 26, 2023, 12:19:41 PM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Sometimes when I buy non-led lamps for my collection, people tell me to buy the led equivalents. When I say that it's for my collection, they ask me 'why use these old lights, leds are much more capable and flexible'. What is the response to this? (I can already see Ria's rant)

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
245v 50Hz

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: What's the reply to "buy led instead" ? « Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 02:56:29 PM » Author: HIDLad001
I would just say "I don't like LED", even though I do use LED extensively for downlighting, which is probably it's best general lighting application because of how directional the lamps are compared to incandescent.
But for everything else I use fluorescent and metal halide (I even converted a light fixture from magnetic RS F40T12 to electronic programmed start F32T8 earlier today because I wanted more light :lol:). I do not use incandescent lamps because they use too much energy and get too hot for me.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's the reply to "buy led instead" ? « Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 03:07:42 PM » Author: Laurens
If someone doesn't understand, compare it to a pianist who prefers an acoustic piano over an electronic. Many people wouldn't be able to hear the difference in a blind test, and electronic pianos have definite benefits over acoustic ones. But still, many enthousiasts prefer a real grand piano over the electronic one despite all the cost and maintenance that comes with it.
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: What's the reply to "buy led instead" ? « Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 11:18:05 PM » Author: RRK
Sometimes when I buy non-led lamps for my collection, people tell me to buy the led equivalents. When I say that it's for my collection, they ask me 'why use these old lights, leds are much more capable and flexible'. What is the response to this? (I can already see Ria's rant)

A proper response is just do not waste your time in empty discussions, and don't get pulled into manipulative talks. You come to get an *exact* kind of light source you need right now, be it a kerosene lamp or led. If the seller has it, right, here is the money. If they don't, just goodbye.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 11:20:58 PM by RRK » Logged
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What's the reply to "buy led instead" ? « Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 12:47:10 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, I think that's the easiest answer, just mention you prefer the older lamps and leave the conversion at that. 
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What's the reply to "buy led instead" ? « Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 04:41:03 AM » Author: Rommie
Rant..? Who, me..?  :mrg:

Presumably where you live, you've got the option of what to buy, but here, unless you go online to eBay or similar places, there's nothing, and even there, the choices are diminishing. Retail, it's LED or if you don't like that, LED  :-\
And that removal of choice is my primary reason for refusing to use LED. I'm a contrary old (insert your own choice of word here ;D) and I don't like being forced into doing or not doing something  >:(

Ok, rant over, back to whatever it was you were talking about  :lol:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What's the reply to "buy led instead" ? « Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 04:53:00 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
If someone doesn't understand, compare it to a pianist who prefers an acoustic piano over an electronic. Many people wouldn't be able to hear the difference in a blind test, and electronic pianos have definite benefits over acoustic ones. But still, many enthusiasts prefer a real grand piano over the electronic one despite all the cost and maintenance that comes with it.
That's the best analogy I've heard in a long time.  :bulbman:
Thank you.! 👏 👏 👏 :-*

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: What's the reply to "buy led instead" ? « Reply #7 on: December 28, 2023, 05:07:18 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Most shopkeepers will be happy that somebody bought their non-led stock that nobody else wants. Other people will complain...

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
245v 50Hz

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What's the reply to "buy led instead" ? « Reply #8 on: December 28, 2023, 05:09:36 AM » Author: Rommie
That's if they're still allowed to sell it, which isn't the case everywhere :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies