Author Topic: It’s official: California has banned self-ballasted CFL lamps  (Read 1184 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
It’s official: California has banned self-ballasted CFL lamps « on: January 01, 2024, 03:04:02 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Starting today, the US state of California has made it illegal to  sell new self-ballasted CFL lamps particularly the ones with screw bases and double pin twist lock bases like GU24 and GU10. As of now, pin-based CFL lamps, linear fluorescent tubes, U bend fluorescent lamps, circline fluorescent lamps, and other fluorescent lamps can still be sold.

This means that you can no longer get the common spiral shaped CFL lamps in California anymore.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: It’s official: California has banned self-ballasted CFL lamps « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 05:02:02 AM » Author: Richmond2000
so people that bought into the "CFL" push and got GU10 style fixtures HAVE to replace there fixtures as I have yet to see a GU10 LED
friends place in Vancouver was 100% GU10 CFL lit and getting GU10 CFLs wes getting HARD without a BAN in place
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It’s official: California has banned self-ballasted CFL lamps « Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 05:03:49 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
So far, I have seen plenty of GU10 LED lamps online.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: It’s official: California has banned self-ballasted CFL lamps « Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 05:23:54 AM » Author: Richmond2000
they are not much of a online type and they were not widely available at the local hardware stores OR the lighting stores
correction they have GU24 not GU10 and Amazon have them in "globe" style as that is what they needed
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 05:27:10 AM by Richmond2000 » Logged
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: It’s official: California has banned self-ballasted CFL lamps « Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 09:06:29 AM » Author: joseph_125
I remember when they were pushing those GU-24 CFL fixtures. They always seemed like a bad deal to me as even back then GU-24 CFLs were more expensive and more limited in selection compared to E26 CFLs. The local Home Depots here sell a single GU-24 LED, a Feit 60w equivalent 3000K. GU-10 there are more choices. 
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It’s official: California has banned self-ballasted CFL lamps « Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 10:06:23 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I own one GU-24 fixture and it'll get a normal medium base socket installed before I ever put the fixture to use !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: It’s official: California has banned self-ballasted CFL lamps « Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 10:13:17 AM » Author: joseph_125
I have a GU-24 fixture that's built like a small wall mounted fluorescent wraparound, even had a "ballast" compartment. Anyway it looked like it was the right length for a 35w SOX lamp, so I bought it with the intention to remove all the GU-24 stuff and retrofit it for 35w SOX.

Not sure what I would do with it though, it was designed as a bathroom light and SOX isn't the first thing I would put in a bathroom.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It’s official: California has banned self-ballasted CFL lamps « Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 10:17:38 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I've ran clear MV in my bathroom before so what's you're point ?  :mrg: :lol:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: It’s official: California has banned self-ballasted CFL lamps « Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 11:00:55 AM » Author: Rommie
Not sure what I would do with it though, it was designed as a bathroom light and SOX isn't the first thing I would put in a bathroom.
We put our socks in the washing machine  :mrg:

I'll get me coat...

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: It’s official: California has banned self-ballasted CFL lamps « Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 11:08:54 AM » Author: joseph_125
Hah, I ran my Goldeye in the bathroom once and it was weird to be under SOX light in there.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It’s official: California has banned self-ballasted CFL lamps « Reply #10 on: January 01, 2024, 10:27:24 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 The washing machine is in the bathroom in my wonderful house !

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: It’s official: California has banned self-ballasted CFL lamps « Reply #11 on: January 02, 2024, 01:09:18 AM » Author: icefoglights
Aside from that one common Leviton fixture that initially came with a squashed CFL, and now an LED bulb, GU-24 fixtures seem to be more common in commercial spaces in my experience, similar to PL fixtures.  I've stayed in many hotels that used them.  Many had LED bulbs in recent years, although one I recently stayed in still used CFLs, as a bulb in my room went EOL and they out of bulbs and had a case on order.  There seems to be more color temperature options for LED versions than there were in CFL versions, although at best I only see one option on store shelves.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 01:12:43 AM by icefoglights » Logged

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: It’s official: California has banned self-ballasted CFL lamps « Reply #12 on: January 22, 2024, 09:15:54 AM » Author: Flurofan96
These bulb bans are not really about care for environment, it is just another stupid controlling scheme  :eoled: but thank goodness the ordinary fluorescent tubes and the non self ballasted CFLS can still be sourced in California

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: It’s official: California has banned self-ballasted CFL lamps « Reply #13 on: January 22, 2024, 02:58:20 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Those lamps will also be banned on 1 January 2025 in the US  State of California as well. This includes non-integrated CFL lamps, linear tubes, circline lamps, U-bend lamps, and all other white fluorescent lamps as well.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: It’s official: California has banned self-ballasted CFL lamps « Reply #14 on: January 23, 2024, 01:11:57 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Also on 1 January 2025 the fluorescent ban will go into effect in Colorado
a person shall not manufacture, distribute, sell, or offer for sale in Colorado
(a) any linear florescent lamp; or
(b) compact fluorescent lamp.

In theory in they wanted to get ugly about it, this  could even mean you as an individual couldn't sell or even give away fluorescent lamps of any type..atleast from my understanding.
(there are some exceptions for various specialty lamps..but even stuff like colored & plant lamps are covered in the ban)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies