Author Topic: Interest in Liminal Spaces Art and Photography?  (Read 1414 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Interest in Liminal Spaces Art and Photography? « on: January 01, 2024, 06:00:56 PM » Author: CEB1993
Liminal spaces are a somewhat recent internet trend that specializes in photos of abandoned or empty places such as malls, schools, offices, and hotels. The idea about liminal spaces is that they appeal to your nostalgia (people born in the 1980s and 1990s), they evoke complicated emotions of nervousness and sadness, and they always feature a place that should be/should have been crowded and full of peoples’ activity.

There are many fascinating videos on YouTube. Liminal spaces are even influencing some really cool New Age music. I took a picture  of a vacant office undergoing renovations. This is an example of a liminal space.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Interest in Liminal Spaces Art and Photography? « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 03:04:26 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Another thing is that the preferred style of liminal spaces depends on where you grew up. The most common pictures appeal to American suburbs but some people have created liminal space pictures for other styles like how one Mexican person took photos for liminal spaces in Mexican suburbs and it would be more nostalgic for him compared to the other ones.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 03:21:25 AM by LightsAreBright27 » Logged

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
245v 50Hz

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Interest in Liminal Spaces Art and Photography? « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 07:23:51 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I love how the whole Backrooms thing has taken off from that photo of the empty office posted on 4chan!  ;)
Then all it took was brilliant videography from YouTubers like Kane Parsons and Lost in the Hyperverse  and a whole new horror genre was born!  8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Interest in Liminal Spaces Art and Photography? « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 12:14:19 PM » Author: CEB1993
As someone who never really got into modern video games or PC gaming, the Backrooms really did catch my attention.

It’s a really cool game concept, wandering through millions of square miles of a maze-like abandoned office and not knowing for sure if you will be attacked.

It reminds me of some workspaces I’ve been in. Also begs the question how many fluorescent tubes are in the Backrooms? What do you think of the type? F32T8s or F40T12s? 2 by 4 troffers? I wonder what makes them buzz so loudly in this strange alternate reality.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Interest in Liminal Spaces Art and Photography? « Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 01:40:38 AM » Author: AngryHorse
From the animations I’ve watched I’d say they were 2x2 troffers  8), I can’t say I’ve ever worked in a similar place, but I’ve certainly dreamed about such places!
Its the vast space and the loneliness of liminal spaces that gives it that creepy factor  :o

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Interest in Liminal Spaces Art and Photography? « Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 05:15:21 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Well, there is no furniture or anything to damp down the sound other than the wet carpet leading to more echoing and louder buzzing. Plus this is the only sound other than your breathing and the black stick figure running around.

245v 50Hz

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Interest in Liminal Spaces Art and Photography? « Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 06:44:08 AM » Author: CEB1993
Probably my favorite liminal spaces are hotels. I took lots of trips over the years and stayed in many hotels. The hotel liminal spaces certainly bring back memories and make me wonder where is this place.

The picture below brings back a whole experience for me. I'm remember numerous times as a kid walking through hotel hallways trying to find the indoor pool or the ice machine. This brings back the ice-cold feeling of the air conditioning on my wet swim shorts as I returned from a swim.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 08:32:23 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Stop the lamp bans!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Interest in Liminal Spaces Art and Photography? « Reply #7 on: January 20, 2024, 08:53:27 PM » Author: CEB1993
I particularly like liminal spaces in shopping malls. My local mall is always bustling and full of successful stores. It would be extremely strange to see it completely devoid of human activity. Even so, my local mall can still feel very liminal. I enjoy “mall walking” just to get some exercise and people watch.

The malls below (not my photos) are examples of liminal spaces. Many other malls have closed down due to the ubiquitous online shopping we have today. These malls seem to be paused in time.

Stop the lamp bans!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Interest in Liminal Spaces Art and Photography? « Reply #8 on: January 21, 2024, 06:38:22 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I wish it was the same here, in the nearest mall to where we are although it's busy there a lot of empty units, and it's the same thing out on the street a lot of shops have gone bust.  :(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: Interest in Liminal Spaces Art and Photography? « Reply #9 on: January 21, 2024, 07:16:38 PM » Author: Flurofan96
Yes I know of liminal spaces

The feelings you experience are of a strange but comforting feel

Circus and fairground aesthetics give me that feeling too - especially when there are clowns around

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Interest in Liminal Spaces Art and Photography? « Reply #10 on: January 22, 2024, 09:13:30 PM » Author: CEB1993
Hey Pete, yes that nostalgic feeling with your past experiences at fairgrounds is a big part of liminal spaces.

With me, shopping malls and hotels give me a liminal feeling. I have many vivid memories of walking through the mall as a child with my mom and my late grandmother in the late 90s and early 2000s. People our age (born in the 90s) are particularly drawn to the liminal space art movement.

Some people talk about how creepy and uncanny some liminal spaces can be. The lack of people in these spaces cause the viewer to be unsettled. However, for me I find most liminal spaces really comforting and relaxing. There’s a ton of nostalgia in it for me, revisiting early 2000s and 90s malls, hotels, schools, and offices. 

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Interest in Liminal Spaces Art and Photography? « Reply #11 on: January 23, 2024, 12:35:22 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Never heard ' liminal spaces' before.. what is that? just another word for 'urban exploring' (ie: "trespassing" in abandoned buildings )??

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Interest in Liminal Spaces Art and Photography? « Reply #12 on: January 23, 2024, 05:40:17 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
It's supposed to mean transitional spaces. These spaces are meant to be only stayed in for little time (like school hallways, supermarkets, offices etc). But these images make us feel that we were in those spaces for too long and somehow, this gives a sense of nostalgia and weirdness (the feeling that you're not supposed to be there but you are and that you have seen this place before).

245v 50Hz

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Interest in Liminal Spaces Art and Photography? « Reply #13 on: February 11, 2024, 07:45:54 PM » Author: CEB1993
Here’s a picture from my local mall. This escalator always felt very liminal to me. It’s an area that always has people passing through on the moving stairs. Also, the white walls and repetitive wall sconces add to the uncanny and liminal feeling.

Stop the lamp bans!

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Interest in Liminal Spaces Art and Photography? « Reply #14 on: March 10, 2024, 09:32:43 PM » Author: CEB1993
Here’s an empty conference room in one of my workplaces that feels liminal due to its dim lighting, stark and plain decor, and lack of activity from people. Kind of gives me a Backrooms vibe  :-\

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies