Author Topic: Japan proposes to ban straight fluorescent tubes by the end of 2027  (Read 800 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Japan proposes to ban straight fluorescent tubes by the end of 2027 « on: January 06, 2024, 03:28:57 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
It seems like after 2027, the unique sizes of fluorescent lamps that have been commonly available in Japan will become harder and harder to find. In addition, CFL lamps will also be banned in that country in 2025.

See here:

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/expert/articles/d94dd8ff8fed0b91390ff6725c8312dc711184c7

https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQOCB040JL0U3A101C2000000/

It feels like with every passing year, non-LED light sources are becoming progressively harder and harder to find as more and more countries ban traditional electric light sources in favor of LED lighting.

Better stock up and import while you can as anything non-LED will become “rare” and/or “unobtainium” in no time.

Sometimes, it feels like some of us poor collectors will wind up having numerous incomplete sets of traditional lamps with so many other lamps not being able to be procured as new old stock lamps are recycled to a point where no surviving examples exist at all or where all existing lamps belonging to certain manufacturer part numbers will be used up until all examples of those lamps become EOL.

The 2020s have been a very depressing decade for us lighting collectors here on LG because the whole world has been inundated with lamp ban after lamp ban of traditional light sources that are not LED because it seems like there will be a point where future generations will never know and experience any light source other than LED. I also have a strong feeling that future generations of lighting enthusiasts will eventually have to pay extremely high prices to be able to obtain non-LED light sources due to their increasing rarity as a result of NOS and used lamps, ballasts, and fixtures being scrapped and destroyed out of existence to a point where only very few examples of non-LED light sources remain being confined only to collections and being too precious to run every day as stocks of the last non-LED light sources go EOL and cease to function properly. Lastly, I feel that some of us lighting collectors have felt so depressed about the constant lamp bans that some of us even gave up the hobby of collecting lighting because of worries about finding nothing other than LED in the future.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 04:04:41 AM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

Re: Japan proposes to ban straight fluorescent tubes by the end of 2027 « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 09:42:43 PM » Author: Robotjulep
That's quite a sad thing to hear. Yeah the 2020s have really wrecked the future for conventional lighting. But the Minamata convention takes this to another level. I remember when I was living in Japan in the years 2019-2022, most of the industrial lighting was mainly HID and the residential lighting was CFL or Linear fluorescent. I even went to a store that sold HRF-300x (300w mercury vapor flood bulbs) and the price tag was hefty, at 7800JPY or around $53. This kind of feels similar to the disappearance of LPS/SOX  :sadbulb:

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: Japan proposes to ban straight fluorescent tubes by the end of 2027 « Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 09:10:49 AM » Author: Flurofan96
This is why I spent last year June and bit of July renovating my shed in the garden of my parents house since moving back from Hull by adding extra thickness/insulation to the walls using the planks from old bed frames and some new planks from B&Q, cutting them using a miter electric saw and using my now 6 year old Parkdrive (Lidl brand) drill. Then I had to buy some huge plastic boxes to store all of my lightbulbs so that they don't get damaged by dampness, insects, plus they provide a sort of buffer to temperature changes from cold snaps to heatwaves. I also got some furniture such as a desk and a drawer cabinet so to say. No shed is complete without a desk IMO

Then for the whole summer season (May to October) I have been visiting 2 car boot sales in Reading and collected a HUGE amount of CFLS, incandescents, halogens and few LED bulbs as well some fluorescent fixtures and tubes. Charity shops I also visited to get whatever non LED light bulbs and fixtures. I ensure to get multiple copies of the same bulb and not 'put them all in one basket' when it comes to putting them into the boxes. Also I plan to do some trading on here with the copies of bulbs I have obtained (I'll create an album)

Doing my bit to protect myself against this horrendous crackdown on non LED lighting 

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Japan proposes to ban straight fluorescent tubes by the end of 2027 « Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 03:23:35 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Yeah I've always said if I didn't start the collection when I did in 2013, I would never have been able to thereafter. Most of the places I was getting good scores from have all dried up a few years later. It's nearly impossible now to find some of the items that were common

Administrator #5

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Japan proposes to ban straight fluorescent tubes by the end of 2027 « Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 10:47:30 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Even here, where I managed to get over 300 lamps from the last 2 years, many shops have started throwing old stock away.

For getting all lamps in a series, it would be much more easier to have examples in places like the US or UK sincethere are multiple collectors of the same nation on this website. As far as I know, there seems to be no other indian lamp enthusiasts here, only rare examples of exported ones. There are many serieses that I don't have much of, so as our government is banning all tubes, all incandescents, all cfls above 30w and many HIDs,  I am afraid that I may not be able to complete many serieses.

I am also pretty clumsy so if I break a lamp, I am doomed. There are many lamps for which I don't know the size or brand of (like my T4s) that may dissappear forever.

As for led, I have tried switching my mind to try collecting them, but there are too many of them. You can't 'collect' when they are everywhere.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 10:49:38 AM by LightsAreBright27 » Logged

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
245v 50Hz

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Japan proposes to ban straight fluorescent tubes by the end of 2027 « Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 03:13:23 PM » Author: Richmond2000
@lightsarebright
will say there are already a NUMBER of GLS LED bulbs that are no longer made that in themselves are interesting as they go back to the "early" LED days 3 panel Phillips - "switch" oil filled are examples of rare and NOW collectable "120V" LED lamps that are of historic significance
plus remember 15 years age FLoro / CFL were slaughtering incandescent and we were in the "same boat" with incandescent bans and "forced" eco choices 
LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Japan proposes to ban straight fluorescent tubes by the end of 2027 « Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 10:51:55 PM » Author: LightsAreBright27
@Richmond2000

Old style leds are starting to get collectibles now. I can imagine in the future that leds that are hated now would be replaced by better ones or a different light source. Then we will start remembering these leds and collect them.
Just like how hps was hated for replacing mv and later hps became rare and collectible, same may occur to leds.

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
245v 50Hz

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Japan proposes to ban straight fluorescent tubes by the end of 2027 « Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 02:44:33 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I fear with LEDs it will be a little different compared to the past where MV was replaced by HPS or T12 replaced by T8. I notice a lot more LED lighting products feature integrated LED devices that are non replaceable/ serviceable.

So the days of getting a new fixture and being able to install older or alternative guts inside are gone for the most part.

Even those common big box store "boob" light fixtures are no longer as available with E27 sockets. Quite disappointing.

There are ways around it though with a little DIY. It isn't too difficult to put together some random fixture parts,  wire and sockets and making a nice looking socketed fixture. I have many ideas myself.

Popular option among those after the steampunk look. Many projects I've seen incorporated those neat looking LED filament Edison lamps.

Administrator #5

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Japan proposes to ban straight fluorescent tubes by the end of 2027 « Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 11:27:57 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah I've seen stuff like the Philips AmbientLED become somewhat more collectible in recent years. I do feel there's more of a push to have everything moved over to LED now compared to when HPS, CFL, and T8 fluorescent came out. While they did displace older tech such as MV, incandescent, and T12 fluorescent from the mainstream, they never really fully displaced the older tech much like LED is doing now.

I'm not a fan of having everything integrated like how modern LED fixtures are. Sure they might look like during the first few years, but as the fixtures need repair, you'll need to replace them and then the luminaires won't match. At least you can avoid those types of fixtures for now but getting something with a socket and using LED lamps in it.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies