Author Topic: What is your experience buying/shipping online?  (Read 475 times)
LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

What is your experience buying/shipping online? « on: January 16, 2024, 01:36:55 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Mine has been not so good. Even though the selection is huge, half of the time the products aren't delivered, but never had any broken things. Here's a list:

Philips 18w/BLB with batten- arrived safely
11w ballast- arrived with unexpected free uv-c tube
Philips 18w/BL- never arrived
Philips 14wT12/3500k- never arrived

This was only buying from oem. Can't imagine the condition of buying second hand :-X .
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 12:07:18 PM by LightsAreBright27 » Logged

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
245v 50Hz

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What is your experience buying online? « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 11:03:38 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Brilliant from National Lamps and Components, well packaged lamps, quick delivery, but sadly they don’t exist anymore  :(  as sadly they ceased trading in February 2023!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: What is your experience buying online? « Reply #2 on: January 23, 2024, 11:53:51 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
In my experience, I have had a number of positive experiences buying lamps from online sources like eBay, amazon, mercari, electrical supply websites, and I have even used online forwarding services and proxy websites to import some foreign lighting equipment. For example, I have used jauce and buyee to import some lighting equipment from Japan.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: What is your experience buying online? « Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 12:05:47 PM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Seems unexpectedly positive :)! Even though I heard stories about the folded 8ft tube (ouch!) And broken filaments all the time! :lol:

245v 50Hz

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: What is your experience buying online? « Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 12:11:00 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Buying online is absolutely a good idea if you want to add foreign lighting equipment to your collection if you can’t afford expensive plane tickets and if you want to obtain large size examples of foreign lighting equipment that can’t easily fit in a passenger plane. In some cases, finding appropriate forwarding services to obtain foreign lighting equipment is extremely challenging and expensive. Sometimes, this has led some of us collectors to obtain lighting from countries that we never visited before.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: What is your experience buying/shipping online? « Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 04:34:55 AM » Author: Richmond2000
I got a URBIS SAPHIRE street light from the UK and I am in Canada across the "pond"
it survived the trip without incident
I bought a GE M250A2 from a liquidation company NEW no box they were "smart" enough to pack the refractor in a box but had 2 of them one glass and one plastic they stuck the glass one on the plastic one and the plastic one got broken corner - glass one not to the fixture but a different one

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: What is your experience buying/shipping online? « Reply #6 on: January 25, 2024, 05:25:08 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
I have heard that loose lamps or gear would rattle and damage things. Especially if it's a streetlight with a heavy ballast.

245v 50Hz

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What is your experience buying/shipping online? « Reply #7 on: January 25, 2024, 06:47:10 AM » Author: Rommie
Lamps, especially discharge lamps with complex internal structures, should always be carefully packed. The essential is to make sure there is a certain amount of 'wiggle room' so that should the package be dropped, the lamp doesn't immediately stop along with the package. The best material is probably shredded paper, see this post by James from a few years ago.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies