Author Topic: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users.  (Read 2178 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #15 on: January 25, 2024, 12:03:20 PM » Author: Rommie
Never use wireless. Ethernet all the way here.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #16 on: January 25, 2024, 03:01:36 PM » Author: HIDLad001

I’d love to but most of the rooms in my house don’t have RJ45 Ethernet jacks, and the whole reason why I use a laptop is so that I can sit in the lawn chair in my backyard and browse the internet. Having a cable in that application is too difficult.
I do have a desktop computer (and my laptop’s dock), and I would love Ethernet for those, but there is no RJ45 Ethernet jack in my room.

100% wired connection might make sense in an apartment, but not a 2 story house. For that, Wi-Fi makes more sense.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 03:06:21 PM by HIDLad001 » Logged

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #17 on: January 25, 2024, 05:40:46 PM » Author: Rommie
When I moved in here, my first aim was to install structured cabling everywhere. It took a while, but it was well worth it.

Main rack
Secondary rack in the bedroom
Router/ONT
UPS

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #18 on: January 29, 2024, 11:24:54 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
I have found out that new things are always a proprietary and buggy mess. I have messed with old items and I like their durability.
Oh, your monitor is unusable after a slight hit? My old crt has survived being dropped face down (the glass chipped) and my old generation lcd has survived stabbing presumably by a soldering iron or something like that because of the melt marks(the stab went through all the layers of lcd and has met the backlight). And after all that, the crt is completely fine and the lcd only has a pinhole damage and is very much usable.

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
245v 50Hz

VestasMan

View Posts
View Gallery

look maa, no thermal runaway!

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #19 on: January 31, 2024, 12:28:25 AM » Author: VestasMan
iv'e got a bulldog clip over my webcam, looks strange sticking out of my laptop monitor., but it keeps me safe.

i am a fan and light collector fro a hicktown in new zealand.  i don't mind let alone hate the people that call wifi routers "modems",LED drivers "ballasts" and LCD panels "picture tubes" because i kinda do this myself. i am a big fan of TOAST ASYLUM and more so now that i am into lighting! :a_2d: .

VestasMan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #20 on: January 31, 2024, 12:31:01 AM » Author: VestasMan
one of the computes at MAVtech uses firefox.

i am a fan and light collector fro a hicktown in new zealand.  i don't mind let alone hate the people that call wifi routers "modems",LED drivers "ballasts" and LCD panels "picture tubes" because i kinda do this myself. i am a big fan of TOAST ASYLUM and more so now that i am into lighting! :a_2d: .

VestasMan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #21 on: January 31, 2024, 01:10:35 AM » Author: VestasMan
sorry for flooding my own topic again, but i just remembered to type this in. speaking of nurse's caps and computer privacy, yesterday,i got an exclusive look inside one of the two heath clinics in my town. because we live in a small community and it looks like i walk/scoot around the town, pointlessly aiming my camera at random lights, people often ask me for help with directions and looking for lost items. this time it was 8 :30 or something and i was taking a photo of the only AEC italo in our town, when a kindly looking lady walks up to me and asks me for help. i was expecting her to ask me for directions, but instead, she turned out to be a nurse who's break time was ending and her shift was starting shortly. she explained how she had misplaced her cap after removing it during her break. how you can lose something so important?, i don't know. all i do know is that because of this, i got a chance to see all the cool lighting and stuff up close. there were these rectangle box surface mount fluorescent battens running 4' t12 tubes and magnetic ballasts. they were switched off at the time. i snapped some pictures of them witch i will post on my gallery soon. there where a lot of PL downlights as well. after 10 minutes of fluffing around, i found the cap sitting on top of a printer on a computer desk. the computer was on and it was running ubuntu. it was a dell tower with an old CCFLLCD monitor. there was also an old 1980's era oscillating desk fan with green and purple streamers. the oscillator gearbox was slightly squeaky. i returned the cap to the nurse, took some photos of the PL downlights and left to visit the 4square for a well deserved sandwich i ate on the platform of the railway station. it was cool to see a computer running ubuntu though.  8) ( don't ask me what version of ubuntu it was because i was not concerned about that at the time as i was in a little bit of a hurry ) all i want to know is why they where using ubuntu instead of something like windows?

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #22 on: January 31, 2024, 10:43:23 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Probably some software with special hardware or they wanted it lightweight and quick.

245v 50Hz

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #23 on: January 31, 2024, 10:46:21 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
iv'e got a bulldog clip over my webcam, looks strange sticking out of my laptop monitor., but it keeps me safe.
Some laptops have built-in sliding covers, mine is magnetic.

245v 50Hz

VestasMan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #24 on: January 31, 2024, 08:48:52 PM » Author: VestasMan
right, my laptop doesn't have one, so i had to improvise. as for the clinic computer, it makes sense, ubuntu is very reliable and that computer looked like it was handling document files or something, i mean, there was a printer. i guess ubuntu is good for that type of thing. . speaking of the clinic, i really regret not turning those cool fluorescents on, but if i did so, wouldn't that count as dillydallying? i mean what if i got caught in the middle of flipping them on? especially since the situation was like a real life version of one of those time limit games.
also, my tombstone graveyard model is nearly complete!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 08:54:29 PM by VestasMan » Logged

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #25 on: January 31, 2024, 09:46:26 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Rommie
It's a BIOS option, done now  8)
nice.

All my computers are wired, but I do have wireless for my tablet, of those occasions where I might take my laptop to a room with no ethernet jack (I ran wires to wherever I could :) worth the trouble to me)

--------------

Quote from: HIDLad001
My ThinkPad has a hardware wireless (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, cellular) disable switch that makes the BIOS completely turn off all wireless communications.
I have an old Acer laptop that has a switch to turn off wireless. And another where its a combination of keys on the keyboard. Handy features when you don't want/need it trying to connect to anything

I use modified Windows 10 (Atlas OS) with all of the tracking and bloatware removed.
Thats good to do, get rid of most of the 'junk', minimize the bloat & spyware .. ofcourse its still spying on you, unless its kept offline...or you have a firewall that blocks access to any Micro$oft-owned servers. [/quote]

As far as browsers go, I use Firefox with Ublock Origin.
uBlock is pretty good (it won't completely block the stuff in your filter list, but nor will AdBlock(they will block images/fonts/scripts/etc from loading, but they won't block a connection made to the adserver)) And ofcourse they won't block the built-in spyware in FireFox itself

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #26 on: February 01, 2024, 09:31:39 AM » Author: Rommie
@ xmaslightguy - What spyware in Firefox are you referring to..? I'm not aware of anything that can't be disabled, but I could be (and very often am) wrong  :wndr:

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #27 on: February 01, 2024, 10:44:53 AM » Author: HIDLad001
@Xmaslightsguy Atlas OS is incredibly bare bones. I had to install various essential drivers and components that normally come with Windows, but we’re all removed when Atlas OS was installed, heck I even had to go into the registry to turn on the start menu!
Linux might run faster on older hardware, but at its core (completely stripped down), Windows 10 is infinitely more stable. It’s just a shame it is riddled with spyware and you have to go through drastic measures to remove it.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #28 on: February 01, 2024, 01:09:04 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ Alex, Windows 10 more stable than Linux, don't make me laugh.!  :poof:
There's a very good reason that nearly all of the mainframe computers and web hosting servers in the world run Linux, and that's because of how stable it is. I've been running Linux now for nearly ten years and it has never crashed on me. :bulbman:
And that's out of the box, there were a few repositories to add so that programs that weren't packaged with the distro get updated.
The other thing we like is that updates are released almost daily, so they're quick to install and are done in the background,  8) 

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #29 on: February 01, 2024, 01:38:30 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Automatic updates are litlle bit double edge sword. Fast pace of updates usually means very little testing which on the other hand can mean unexpected and sudden problems. That's why most serious businesses use LTS variants which on the other hand has their own share of problems.

Out of box linux installations with little to no changes from defaults can be pretty stable on problem free to run depending on release.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies