Author Topic: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users.  (Read 2176 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #30 on: February 01, 2024, 01:40:53 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The updates aren't done automatically, you can choose which of the updates to do, or indeed not do any of them.  :wndr:
We use Fedora, the same Distro that Linus Torvalds uses, so if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for us.  8)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 01:43:27 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #31 on: February 01, 2024, 02:52:00 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Atlas OS has the update component completely removed. The update menu does nothing.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #32 on: February 01, 2024, 02:57:26 PM » Author: HIDLad001
@ Alex, Windows 10 more stable than Linux, don't make me laugh.!  :poof:
There's a very good reason that nearly all of the mainframe computers and web hosting servers in the world run Linux, and that's because of how stable it is. I've been running Linux now for nearly ten years and it has never crashed on me. :bulbman:
I have never had any issues with Windows. I have had a ton of issues with Linux though.
You won’t believe the amount of trouble I have had to go through to get all of the drivers working properly, if they would even work at all.
Tried it on my old MacBook Pro, it couldn’t handle switching from Intel integrated graphics to the Nvidia dedicated graphics card, and would just display garbage on the screen when the computer was woken up from sleep. Then there is the aforementioned wireless driver issues with my ThinkPad.
I understand your preference for Linux, but it just doesn’t work well on my old junk computers.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 02:59:30 PM by HIDLad001 » Logged

Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #33 on: February 01, 2024, 03:01:12 PM » Author: Rommie
Strange. It works fine on all ours (Dell Latitude 6430 laptops and Optiplex 7020 & 9020 desktops).

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #34 on: February 01, 2024, 03:12:03 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Yeah, it’s unfortunate because when it worked, I loved using it, so much so I even preferred it to Windows!
Maybe when I upgrade my laptop computer, I’ll have to look in to a Dell Latitude 6440 or 6430 because they seem reasonably cheap.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #35 on: February 01, 2024, 03:49:45 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ HID Lad: So how do you install any updates.? :wndr:

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #36 on: February 01, 2024, 04:48:52 PM » Author: Rommie
Yeah, it’s unfortunate because when it worked, I loved using it, so much so I even preferred it to Windows!
Maybe when I upgrade my laptop computer, I’ll have to look in to a Dell Latitude 6440 or 6430 because they seem reasonably cheap.

They are, the one I'm using now (after my original one was stolen in London last year, I've ranted about that elsewhere..!) cost me £90 including an extra 16GB of memory. It's an i7 as well, so really fast on Linux.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #37 on: February 01, 2024, 04:51:09 PM » Author: HIDLad001
I don’t. The updates would just make the computer unusably slow.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #38 on: February 01, 2024, 10:30:13 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Rommie
@ xmaslightguy - What spyware in Firefox are you referring to..? I'm not aware of anything that can't be disabled, but I could be (and very often am) wrong  :wndr:
One word: Telemetry. 

As you know, in the settings there's a few options under 'privacy & security' that you can (ans should always) uncheck to turn off some of the spying. Those are easy to get to.
And then there's all the "hidden" advanced FireFox options ... also known as 'about:config' , in there there's multiple that need changing to further turn off more of it.
(I could probably go through & give a list for anyone who wants it ... but its all available through a google'ing, there are some good sites out there on what all you need to change (I went through multiple of them to gather info...and then went above on my own & changed some additional))

But even with doing all that, it still sends spy data (...well, attempts to, but is blocked from connecting)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #39 on: February 01, 2024, 10:49:14 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: HIDLad001
@Xmaslightsguy Atlas OS is incredibly bare bones. I had to install various essential drivers and components that normally come with Windows, but we’re all removed when Atlas OS was installed, heck I even had to go into the registry to turn on the start menu!
I had to go google what Atlas OS was...
Ok ... not an OS, but a windows modifier that removes most of the data collection telemetry(spyware) and apparently a bunch of other stuff. Also its changes can apparently break the functionality of allot of windows apps.

Though with the little bit of reading up I did on it, I'd have zero interest in having it on a main computer, it'd be interesting to play with if I had an extra PC sitting around...for one to see if it removes all the mal/spyware (I bet the dang thing would still attempt connections to Micro$oft servers). But also just to see it.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #40 on: February 01, 2024, 11:00:55 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: HIDLad001
I understand your preference for Linux, but it just doesn’t work well on my old junk computers.
I had issues getting Linux (Ubuntu) setup & running decently on an old PC years ago... but for the various issues, every one I was able to find an answer/fix for by google'ing it. In the end I got it working perfectly & never had any issues after that.

Don't expect to be able to do it through the 'window interface', you're going to have to do allot of it in terminal/console with command-line text.
(I was perfectly comfortable doing that having learned on DOS - before windows even existed .lol. I'd also used actual Unix a bit too.)
(Oh.. memories from "the good old days" LOL of computers)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 11:11:28 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #41 on: February 02, 2024, 07:59:34 AM » Author: Rommie
Don't like Ubuntu, the command line options are different in Debian compared with what I'm used to in Fedora. Also the security isn't as robust in my opinion.

Anyway, as I've said before, if Fedora is good enough for Linus Torvalds, it's good enough for us  :lol: Been using it for the best part of 20 years and never had a problem I couldn't easily solve.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #42 on: February 02, 2024, 08:04:35 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Since Ria introduced me to Linux I haven't used anything else.  8)
All I need is the office suite of programs and LibreOffice does everything I need.  :)
As for search engines we avoid Google like the plague and use Quack Quack Gone.  :D

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #43 on: February 02, 2024, 11:45:56 AM » Author: HIDLad001
Don't like Ubuntu, the command line options are different in Debian compared with what I'm used to in Fedora.

That's why I couldn't use Fedora, because all of my prior experience has been with Debian, and everybody knows how hard it is to get used to a new CLI.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: nurses who still wear caps,people who still drive old cars and telephone users. « Reply #44 on: February 03, 2024, 11:35:08 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Rommie
Anyway, as I've said before, if Fedora is good enough for Linus Torvalds, it's good enough for us 
Ubuntu & Lubuntu (and way back in the early days Slackware) were all good to me. .lol.
If I was ever to do another Linux PC, Fedora is one I'd try...just because of what you've said about it on here, and I've heard Ubuntu has spyware in it now (don't know forsure, just something I read online .. I simply had it blocked from connecting to any ubuntu-servers)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies