Author Topic: DIY metal halide reflector  (Read 357 times)
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

DIY metal halide reflector « on: March 18, 2024, 07:27:03 AM » Author: sol
I am considering using a 10 inch galvanized bucket as a reflector for a metal halide lamp of 175 watts. It would be a clear lamp with a protected arc tube (M57). My main concern is that it would possibly overheat. There will be a hole on top that would be big enough to accommodate a BT28 lamp and the lamp holder would be above the bucket. I’m wondering if it is something you would do or if I should go back to the drawing board. Many thanks.
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: DIY metal halide reflector « Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 09:06:33 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
I doubt it would overheat. Think about the 175w cram lamps in those old wallpacks!
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: DIY metal halide reflector « Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 09:21:53 AM » Author: sol
Yes, I thought about that. I’ll have to give it a try, but I’ll need to get a hole saw first.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: DIY metal halide reflector « Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 09:42:30 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I don't think you'll have a problem, it's not going to be fully enclosed, the only thing you'll need to do is make sure that the bucket is grounded, if you're using a metal lamp holder in case of electric shock.  :wndr: :poof:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: DIY metal halide reflector « Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 11:25:41 AM » Author: sol
Yes, ceramic lamp holder and adequate grounding of all parts. Also, I will use high heat spray paint for the exterior.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: DIY metal halide reflector « Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 11:28:20 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
You'll be fine, if anything the metal bucket should help to dissipate any heat.  :wndr:

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: DIY metal halide reflector « Reply #6 on: March 18, 2024, 11:39:02 AM » Author: sol
Yes. And the bottom will be open, too so there will be a slight convection updraught.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: DIY metal halide reflector « Reply #7 on: March 18, 2024, 09:17:06 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I should hope so, otherwise the light won't get out...  :mrg:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: DIY metal halide reflector « Reply #8 on: March 19, 2024, 03:42:38 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Sounds fun!, it’ll be fine, I’ve run a 50 watt merc in a dog bowl before now!  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 03:52:14 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: DIY metal halide reflector « Reply #9 on: March 19, 2024, 05:08:42 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I bet the dog wasn't too happy !  :mrg:

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: DIY metal halide reflector « Reply #10 on: March 23, 2024, 05:03:04 PM » Author: sol
GOOD NEWS !! I have my setup temporarily hung in the basement and it has been running for about 45 minutes and the temperature of the bucket is only about 35 degrees celsius. The lamp holder is about 100 degrees and is above the bucket. I’m very close to declaring this a success. A picture will follow. There are still some things to complete (mainly cosmetic) and I need to get an enclosure for the ballast and proper wiring.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: DIY metal halide reflector « Reply #11 on: March 23, 2024, 07:52:59 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Looking forward to seeing the pictures.  8)
There's nothing to beat a good old bodge.! :bulbman:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies