Author Topic: Flickering Metal Halide Lamps  (Read 9663 times)
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Flickering Metal Halide Lamps « on: July 12, 2010, 10:25:57 PM » Author: Patrick
At Union Station in Chicago, they have quite a few recessed cans with HID lamps.  They're all coated, but I'm guessing they're MH and not MV.  Maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of the fixtures have obviously flickering lamps.  Are these most likely bad Metal Halide lamps?  It's been a problem for years, maybe decades, and you'd think they would just re-lamp them if the solution was that simple.  I've seen flashing MHs elsewhere, but the problem is unusually bad at Union Station.  In contrast, the fluorescent and incandescent fixtures are all very well maintained.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Flickering Metal Halide Lamps « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 12:19:53 AM » Author: icefoglights
I saw some canopy lights at a car wash doing that.  They would actually flicker for a while, go out, than cycle back on.  As they warmed up, as they approached full brightness, they would start flickering again.  After several minutes they would go out and the cycle would start over again.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Flickering Metal Halide Lamps « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 01:08:33 AM » Author: don93s
I periodically visit a factory in east Michigan to service a machine and the building is lit by hundreds of 400w MH high bay fixtures. Over the last couple years I've noticed that virtually all of the lamps have a swirling arc...the shadows around all the fixtures are rotating or gyrating. The last time I was there, however, very few of them were still gyrating so I suspect they were relamped. I tend to believe that MH lamps that act strange are a result of the bulb quality more times than not. Other cases I've seen such as sudden dimming and cycling were caused by capacitor degradation; and cap replacement promptly fixed the problem.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Flickering Metal Halide Lamps « Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 05:20:30 AM » Author: dor123
If any HID lamp continuously flickers with the mains, this may because of rectification. Because HID lamps can also rectify AC to DC like fluorescents and LPSs. This is why electronic ballasts for HID lamps also contains a DC protection like fluorescent electronic ballasts.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Alights

View Posts
View Gallery

USA (120V 60HZ)

Re: Flickering Metal Halide Lamps « Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 03:03:33 PM » Author: Alights
my school has about 45 MH recessed cans that are 50W most likely, and about half of the lamps are flickering/ cycling/ dead and the other half work okay.
the lamps seem to last about 5 years from what ive seen, they burn 8 hrs durring school year. as the lamps age the color shifts from pure white to a slightly dimmer bluish light,until about 4 yrs,  then they generally flicker for a year, then cycle relentlessly, then they fail completely, they may be CMH lamps. I doubt it since i saw one that turned pink one time. And a few of the ballasts or ignitors are dead due to cycling lamps.  magnetic MH ballasts for pulse start should have anti-cycling ignitors
i wish they maintained the lights better

one time they ran out of MH lamps and used HPS for a few months
i tried telling them about the problem but they didnt care much
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Flickering Metal Halide Lamps « Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 07:19:58 PM » Author: Foxtronix
My local shopping centre uses recessed MH fixtures (or MH-lamped MVs) in its older part. There was a "The Bay" that closed in early 00s, they converted the empty space and extended the mall. In that new part, huge CFLs are used.

Anyway, some MHs in the rest of the mall act like mentioned before. The arc swirls in the arctube, making a funny moving shadow on the floor! They never cycle though. I've seen that phenomenon in some other shopping centres with similar lighting configuration. I still can't figure out what's going on inside the lamp? Maybe the arc is seeking a spot on the electrode with less resistivity or more emissive substance and can't happen to find one?

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Flickering Metal Halide Lamps « Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 04:44:32 AM » Author: dor123
I thihk that the problem with swirling arc in MH lamps is unique to american lamps and related to the ballast, since i have encountered this problem in Israel only once, in one of the shops of our local Office Depot chain of stores, in Grand Canyon mall. The lamp that encourted the problem was a US GE 400W probestart MH with phosphor coating lamp that operated on Eltam's CWA ballast. I never encountered this phenomenon with the european MH lamps that operated with an european style reactor ballasts.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:55:11 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies