Author Topic: I started mine collection with.......  (Read 5817 times)
Raphael

View Posts
View Gallery

I started mine collection with....... « on: December 04, 2006, 04:20:58 PM » Author: Raphael
What was the first object that you have in your collection of lamps and/or lanterns?

What is most favourite object in your collection, what will you never sell or give away?

Mine collection will be complete when I have........

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: I started mine collection with....... « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 04:23:01 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
well I had few bulbs in and out as growing up......I made my own fixtures

but it wasn't until recently I got more and more...my first fixture was the cast OV-20....which is dead now LOL.....

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

Re: I started mine collection with....... « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 08:20:54 PM » Author: prawnman88
id say my g.e. form 79 from the early 40's and my g.e. m400 from 1962 since this was my first street light i ever worked on and man was i scared being up 30 plus feet in my bucket :)
mr_big
Re: I started mine collection with....... « Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 09:12:29 PM » Author: mr_big
I first started off with a Cooper Lighting OVZ.
mr_big
Re: I started mine collection with....... « Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 10:26:21 PM » Author: mr_big
Well lets see... I first started of with a 1kw MH lamp but accidentally broke it
I have had a few ballasts two NEMA heads with clip on refractors and used to have a case of spent LOA T10's but that was before I knew they were so much fun to roast and had them recycled a couple of them were BLB and now I have a few 48 inch fluorescents and an HPS wallpack and that is it for me
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I started mine collection with....... « Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 10:28:28 PM » Author: prawnman88
well im sure wee all on the epa "enviromet protectn act"  lists well atleast with our bulbs :) ;D
dp
Re: I started mine collection with....... « Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 10:31:20 PM » Author: dp
LOL it is required here to recycle them you have to take them to hazmat because of the mercury
dp
Re: I started mine collection with....... « Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 05:28:39 PM » Author: dp
my first item is a GEC Z9533. I will never sell it. same goes for my thorn alpha 1 (90w SOX) as it is my all time favourite (plus it is on a wall bracket outside my house with a photocell switch. the lantern is a remote geared lantern and the control gear is located in the wall bracket.
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: I started mine collection with....... « Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 05:34:35 PM » Author: FGS
My first HID lamp in my collection is a Regent 175w Mercury lamp.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

ripper444
Re: I started mine collection with....... « Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 06:45:37 PM » Author: ripper444
What was the first object that you have in your collection of lamps and/or lanterns?

A Cooper OVX

What is most favourite object in your collection, what will you never sell or give away?

My favorite is just a plain ole Silverliner. If you give me enough beer or money, I'll part with anything.

....... gotten rid of all these damn things.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 06:53:38 PM by ripper444 » Logged
Powergroove

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I started mine collection with....... « Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 09:26:28 PM » Author: Powergroove
The First lamp I remember having was an ITT 1500 watt mogul based incandescant. Haven't seen one of these in years.

It would be hard to part with my Westinghouse lamps.

Enough room to store it all LOL.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 11:03:35 PM by Jace the TudorMan! » Logged

Keep government out of the lighting industry.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: I started mine collection with....... « Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 02:44:45 AM » Author: Silverliner
The first bulb I clearly remember was a GE 25 watt soft white in my lite brite as a 2 year old kid. That was in the late 1970s. I sure remember what the GE bulb aisle looked like in the 1970s in general. Yellow and black Bug-Lite packages, inside frosted GE standards, night lights in old blister cards where the bulbs were held in shrunk soft plastic sandwiched between two layers of cards. Lit by classic crispy white cool whites before the newer, pinkier cool whites came along in the 80s. I would say the bulb I have with me the longest would be a Curtis brand 75 watt rough service bulb an auto repair shop gave me new in '83 or '84. It was made in the USA by Marvel and after many hours of use it still works. Now safe in my collection.

Now for the street lights. Hmmm lemme try to remember. I would say the first street light I got for my collection was the upper half  of an OV-20. It was in good shape except the glass was missing. I have since traded it off. My first memories of the streetlights in service were GE M-250s on the wooden utility poles on residential streets of Berkeley, CA. The major roads had M-400As on both metal and wooden poles. They were all /DX mercs. Around 1981-82 they changed everything to HPS and I still hate it to this day! >:(
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 02:47:08 AM by Mercs rule!!! » Logged

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Santaarnpaal

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I started mine collection with....... « Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 12:06:23 PM » Author: Santaarnpaal

My first complete lantern was a Hogro KFK with a MV lamp of 80 watt. That was in 1993. Nice to know that this lantern is now longer in my collection than it was used on a post (it was around 1981) installed.

I have a lot of lanterns which are my favourites. I cannot choose one.

I am afraid that my collection becomes never complete. There was and is a wide range of functional streetlights overhere in NL.
J-Frog

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I started mine collection with....... « Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 01:08:04 PM » Author: J-Frog
My first and only fixture I have so far is a GE M250 that I put a 175w merc ballast in.

My favorite object in my collection right now is a Westy mercury lamp made same month and year as my birthday, and the Westy SHOs.

My collection will be complete when I have a medium pressure merc and I actually have more room...

Jeremiah The Bullfrog

prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I started mine collection with....... « Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 04:50:15 PM » Author: prawnman88
getting my ge form 79
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies